Point of Lay Versus Raising Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mad Old Bird, Oct 13, 2018.

1. 123RedBeard

123RedBeard Crowing

Oct 20, 2014
    Arizona
    Maybe just a misunderstanding or something ... but, you do not want to "incubate" (hatch eggs into chicks) outside, unless you have a broody mama hen ... incubators require a very stable room air temperature, and draft free is best ... now "brooding" (rearing chicks) out in the shed could be fine ... if you have a way to keep them warm ...

Point of lay (POL) while sounds easy ... may bring problems too ... are you comfortable checking for mites, or lice? Have worms? Are they really "pullets" less than one year old, or 2.5 year old "spent" hens? Can you tell the difference?

How were they raised? Do you mind if they are skittish around people?

How will you transport 8 adult sized birds home?

Chicks on the other hand eliminate most of those problems ... and you get to know them better ... if you only want eggs ... try to find a place that sells "sexed" chicks ... this means that they can tell the gender of the chicks ... some breeds are done simply by down markings, or color ... most need an expert to very carefully have a "look see" up their back side ...

If you want to hatch your own, there is a good chance you will get a few males ... what is your plan for them?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    aart likes this.
  2. Christabean

Christabean Chirping

Jun 21, 2016
    California
    The first time I worked out that I'd spent more than the $15 or $20 it costs for a young pullet for feed and bedding to raise my girls, not to mention the time and effort. But on the other hand I have a nice mixed flock that would have been hard to get already bonded and socialized together. The chicks are really cute but also a decent amount of work the first couple weeks and then a big mess for the next several until they get outside. We're 3 weeks in with a second round of fall chicks two years later, it's been cute but sure goes fast. If you want to spend time watching and interacting with baby chicks, that's the key thing, but it won't save you enough money for your time unless you're raising a huge flock.

I only have two chicks but am being more frugal this time: found a much better price on bulk chick starter and am using ACV and probiotics in their water rather than medicated feed, so that saves money compared to last time. I also bought cheaper chicks locally. $5 per chick, $13 for a heating pad, $20 for a bag of feed and everything else I had on hand. So hopefully under $20 to raise until coop-ready.

aart likes this.
  3. BielefelderHen

BielefelderHen Songster

Mar 27, 2018
    Hertfordshire, UK
    :goodpost:

4. llombardo

llombardo Crowing

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois
    I was reading that if eggs are stored below 40 degrees it kills off whatever would cause the chick to be male. For some reason males can not handle that low of a temperature like females. There is not a study but a few people have had success this way.

I was considering trying to incubate a few duck eggs, but I'm afraid I will screw that up.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ehhhh....if that were true, the hatcheries would be all over it.
    There's some truth to the temperature/gender thing, but it's not specific enough to employ, IMO...and I think it's only effective during incubation.

Aceoky likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: