pointy egg fertility

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ChickenChaps, Jun 12, 2011.

1. ChickenChaps

ChickenChaps Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Malabar, FL
    I am collecting eggs to hatch again. I have the luxury of being particular in selecting eggs. I get some that are really pointy instead of egg shaped. Are they less viable than the usual shaped egg?
    Can I pick and choose all the biggest eggs in hopes of getting bigger birds?

Just curious if it makes any difference. Any helpful hints would be appreciated! [​IMG]

Also, I am installing a pc fan in my lg incubator. I think I have it right, installing it so it blows toward the lid. How far does it need spaced out from the lid? I used one nut, maybe 1/4 inch from the lid, is that enough?

Thanks quail geniuses! [​IMG]

2. katheria

katheria Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    u actually want to install the fan where it blows downwards towards the eggs...heat goes up. for you want to blow the heat back down to the eggs.

i installed mine a little less than 1/2 inch down from the lid.

go to lowes homedepot ect and get plastic spacers.

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Most Cooler Bators Issued With Fans Have The Fan Mounted In The Lid Directly Under 1 Of The Vent Holes Blowing Downward On The Eggs.

4. I do not know of any reason one egg shape would be more viable than another.

5. ChickenChaps

ChickenChaps Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Malabar, FL
    Ok, thanks folks!

I see conflicting opinions on the direction the fan should blow. But your reasoning makes sense. I will turn it over. [​IMG] Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by