pointy feathers on hackle,,,blue orp

tiki244

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Jan 1, 2008
WestCentralWisconsin
ok I should know this but can some one please tell me what age the pointy feathers on the hackle show up? I think I have 2 blue orp pullets but my friend thinks cockerels. They are 6 weeks and begining to get a little color in the comb but I see no pointy feathers in the hackles. No pictures available and I dont want to bring them home if they are boys just so I have to get rid of them. So by 6 weeks I should be able to see the pointy feathers right? no?

I have been wondering this too...... I have a Bantam Cochin with pointy shiney hackle feathers... but by all other indications she is a pullet.
tongue.png
I guess time will tell
wink.png
I'm so confuzzled by this whole hackle thing.

By observing the Hackle (neck) and Saddle (back) feathers of an adult chicken, you can determine its sex. Male hackle and saddle feathers come to a distinctly pointed tip and are shinier. Female hackle and saddle feathers have rounded ends. The breeds of "Sebright" and "Campine" are the only exceptions. In these two "hen-feathered" breeds, the feathers are alike in both sexes.

- At 2-3 months you will see the hackle feathers developing on the males. They will start to get longer and will be more pointed.

- Pullets usually get their wing and tail feathers before cockerels (in the first week or so).
- At around 5 to 6 weeks, sometimes sooner, you will see definate comb development on the cockerels in most breeds (it will start to redden, whilst the pullets will still be yellowy).
- At 2-3 months you will see the hackle feathers developing on the males. They will start to get longer and will be more pointed.
- Cockerels are usually braver - if you walk into your henhouse and accidentally sneeze, the pullets should be the ones that scattered!
- Cockerels have more pointed feather tips.
- Cockerels are usually bigger by a few weeks old.
- Pullets tend to have a smaller, round head, compared to the cockerels larger more angular one.

- Cockerels usually have longer legs (look for spur development).

http://successwithpoultry.blogspot.com/2007/04/how-to-tell-sex-of-chicks.html

You won't see the difference in feathers at six weeks. Blue Orpingtons usually mature slower than a lot of other breeds too.
old.gif

On a Blue Orp, those hackles will be shiny and darker than the rest of the bird, too. Look on their backs, part the back feathers about an inch before the tail begins and look for shiny pointy saddle feathers coming in underneath, but Jim is right, they mature more slowly. You may have a few weeks to go before you really see those.

Last edited:
Quote:
I am pretty sure in this case you would be looking at a male,,,,,,,if it lays an not a male
lau.gif

I have decided to go get them I might as well enjoy them for a while at least if I do have to get rid of them

Quote:
Oh Oh so if they have color in the comb is that not a good sign?

woops I was typing when you guys were posting

Last edited:
I know.... but the person I got them from still thinks it is most likely a female and I have faith that she knows her birds
wink.png
I am wondering if she(not the person...LMAO, but the chicken!) is just not a bit gender confused. There is NO red in the comb and she has never attempted to crow. She stands like a hen. She looks like a hen. It's just those pesky feathers. She is getting along just fine with Spaghetti the 1 year old roo. I dunno... time will tell for sure. Plus... no saddle feathers..... just the hackles.

Last edited:
wow how old is she?

AAWWWW Gravy Biscuits I went ahead and got the 2 orps and now that I got them home it is fairly obviouse they are both boys! SHUCKS!!! DARNIT!!
barnie.gif
They are so sweet and gentle though.

Yeah I find my bantam cochin males are actually sweeter than the females,,,and they have girly pretty faces too. Then I had a female cochin crow when she was 2 weeks old!
ep.gif
She quit that but is still quite dominant.
he.gif

Over 2 months.... I think
tongue.png
I'll have to ask Sat when I go to Gayle's when it was they were hatched. I keep forgetting... will have to write it down this time
wink.png

Have been looking at other cochins... I think she's still a she
wink.png
They're not AS pointy, shiney or long as the roos I am seeing, and I have seen some pics of pullets with some kinda shiney feathers... like what she has. Here's a pic....

spice-1.jpg

sugarspice.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom