1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Poison hemlock and eggs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Vincible1, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Vincible1

Vincible1 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2014
    Whidbey Island WA
    Hi all,

I am a total beginner - to chicken raising and to this site. So far my nine six week old pullets are doing fine and have managed to weather the cold snap without incident.

The other day I was walking around the out door chicken run where I hoped to let them forage in the spring. I was horrified to see several poison hemlock plants popping up through the grass.

I know how toxic poison hemlock can be to livestock. This got me to wondering, does anyone know if the toxins in plants such as this can pass through to chicken eggs?

I am also wondering about herbicides such as 2-4d (one of the recommended treatments for poison hemlock.)

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    I'd remove them by hand personally, but carefully. Plenty of artificial toxins are every bit as scary as natural ones.

Since the hemlock may not kill instantly there's a chance it could be passed through the egg, I don't know, I doubt anyone's tested it. Definitely something to be careful with.

Best wishes. Also, [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by