POISON in Feed!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Eggnog101, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Eggnog101

Eggnog101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    Because of the 2012 drought, high levels of toxins (alfatoxin, mycotoxin) have been found in corn crop. This can cause many problems in your chickens, especially with breeders. Commercially made feeds will sometimes contain toxin binders which will eliminate poisons but please check your labels. If you feed your chickens cracked corn or grind your own corn, please test it for poisons!

Please look alfatoxin and mycotoxin up on the internet. I know it's in some dog foods and the symptoms for dogs are:bloating (Which can kill them) loose stool, abdominal cramping, and death.

1 person likes this.
  2. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    How can I test my feed for poison? I got my feed from a local feed store, do you think my feed is ok?

3. Eggnog101

Jun 26, 2012
    I'm sorry, I'm just spreading the word. I don't really know how to tell, you might need to ask a person on here who has had chickens longer than I have.

4. Eggnog101

Jun 26, 2012
    Please help me keep this at the top of the forum, so people can know what's happening~

5. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    Ok, I will! I also told my friends about the poison, so the word is getting around!

6. sneal79

sneal79 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2012
    Indiana
    I would like to know how to test for poison. So far, all of chickens are healthy...but ya just never know!

7. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    I doubt that you'll have much problems out of commercial feed. But drought conditions causes a form of smut or rust infections on grain crops like wheat or corn. Rust or smut is a type of fungus. The spores from this fungus infection is the poison mentioned here. Some people speculate that the Salem, Mass. girls who accused their family and neighbors of being witches were driven crazy by eating this "poison" grain. Smut is always on grains but not in large or dangerous amounts.

If you save your own corn seeds, raise your own feed, or buy bulk corn from an unknown source there is a danger (but not a big one) that this corn will be contaminated. In Mexico still green smut infected ears of corn are sold as a delicacy. It is said to taste like mushrooms, not like chicken. [​IMG] Treating the seeds with a fungicide before planting will control smut but not rust and this treated corn or wheat will be 100% safe. Just saying.

8. Eggnog101

Jun 26, 2012
    Thank you!!

9. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Great idea warning people( just trying to keep this thread at the top of the forum ;)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  10. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    I liked this! Thank you for the heads-up!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by