Poison in yard for fleas

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Bedste, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    I had to sprinkle poison on the acre due to a sweet German Shepherd who is alergic to fleas. The poison is something like seven dust and it about covered the property. I realize that I will not be able to free range for a spell but it was unavoidable. This poison killed all their fun little bugs too, but I had no choice. How many rains and how long before I can let the girl out again?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  2. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Friendly bump...............hopefully someone can answer your question. What was the name of what you put down?

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Good question.. [​IMG]

4. Bedste

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    It was granules in a big orange bag.... I will have to check the trash and find out the name of it in the morning.... it is dark and rainy

5. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    If that 'poison' killed off all the bugs, there wouldn't be much for them to free range for other then grass and weeds.

I'd be worried about that poison being obsorbed up into the grass and plants as well, and not just sitting on top of the soil.

I'd be bringing healthy goodies to them in the run for a few weeks.

6. Bedste

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    Thanks.... ok.... better safe than sorry.... maybe they can free range in November....

7. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    It depends on the 'poison' in the granules. I would contact a vet(that treats livestock, poultry etc) or call the manufacturer.

8. rainbowgardens

rainbowgardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central Virginia
    If they're out, they may eat the dead poisoned bugs. I wouldn't take any chances.
    My poor dog is chewing his fur off right now because of flea bites, so I understand your situation.

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Maybe we need to start a flea rant thread because I've been battling them this summer too...they're horrible! [​IMG] My Frontline Plus is NOT keeping them at bay this year. We did treat our yard earier this summer too, so I'm glad that my chicks will have a few weeks before they're out and about. I think our product was in granules too, but I can't remember what it's called either...

10. Casey3043

Casey3043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Teach1rusl,

Not to bash a particular manufacturer, but sometimes one product works better on a dog than another. All my dogs were on Frontline Plus, and one still got fleas persistently. I went on the website, etc, and they came up with every excuse except that perhaps their product didn't work for my dog.

My vet recommended that I try Advantix. I did, and it solved the problem for that dog. Just a case of different body chemistry.

Since I cleared the dogs of fleas, I haven't had any in the yard, but they don't roam over the whole place. I agree about contacting the manufacturer about when it would be safe to allow your chickens access to the treated area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by