1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Poison Ivy... will it kill my chicks?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Buugette, Jun 16, 2010.

  1. Buugette

    Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

    May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    Two of my chicks went under our fence and through a yard to this lady's house that has a back yard full of Poison Ivy. Now my son, after panicking, scaled the fence, sprinted the yard and ended up FINALLY catching them and bringing them back. (Kinda wish I had been home to see this...)

    There's no way he didn't come in contact with the ivy... so he is now in the shower, clothes in the washer... and my daughter is now wiping down the chicks. I was just wondering if it was possible for them to get poison ivy, or worse... what would happen if they ate some?

    Any input is greatly appreciated.

    Diana
     

  2. sonjab314

    sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

    3,349
    32
    236
    May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    I can't answer positively, but I don't know of any animal that has ever had a case of poison ivy. I'd make your daughter shower too after handling the chicks. The pollen will transfer onto her from the chicks. I'm so alergic to that stuff. If i look at it I get it. Good luck to your kids.
     
  3. Ms.FuzzyButts

    Ms.FuzzyButts Songster

    Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    The chicks can't get it. Nor will it hurt them for eating it. But your daughter could get it from touching the chicks!! Not likely, but extremely possible.
     
  4. A.T. Hagan

    A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

    5,379
    146
    303
    Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    It won't hurt the birds. Some of my chicken's favorite places to forage is just stiff with the stuff.
     
  5. Buugette

    Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

    May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    Thanks... appreciate the info. Will definately have my daughter go shower.

    D
     
  6. kywest

    kywest In the Brooder

    64
    1
    39
    Apr 14, 2009
    central Ohio
    Only humans, great apes and pigs react to poison ivy. For most animals it is important food item (the berries especially). If you are sensitive to the oil, you can get it from touching an animal that has walked through a patch. My mother in law gets it from her dogs all the time. Furthermore, just because you do not react to it now does not mean that you will never react. Repeated exposure can induce sensitivity. I recommend round-up on poison ivy anywhere you might come in contact with it. Pulling it up won't get rid of it!
     
  7. BloominOrchid

    BloominOrchid Songster

    589
    0
    129
    Apr 18, 2010
    Worcester Township
    UGH Im itching just thinking about it!
    I too would like to see your son run and jump the fence tho [​IMG]
     

  8. kaddidle

    kaddidle Songster

    145
    0
    109
    Mar 23, 2010
    Alabama
    I'm super allergic to it and am letting my chickens eat it in order to get it out of my yard organically. Humans are one of the only animals to be susceptible to it. Your chicks should be fine and well nourished from foraging in it. If I could have a goat to eat it, I would, and I am considering rabbits.
     
  9. patman75

    patman75 Songster

    I hope she took a cold shower.

    hot showers make it worse and spread it around.
     
  10. bakerjw

    bakerjw Songster

    1,384
    33
    183
    Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    Glad I found this post about poison ivy. I was not aware that most animals were immune to the oil. Fortunately for me I am not a human, great ape, or pig as I am pretty much unaffected by coming in contact with it. In fact last weekend I went through the new run for the girls and pulled out a ton of it because I was worried about their welfare.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by