Poison Ivy... will it kill my chicks?

Buugette

[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra
10 Years
May 26, 2009
Bucks County, PA
Two of my chicks went under our fence and through a yard to this lady's house that has a back yard full of Poison Ivy. Now my son, after panicking, scaled the fence, sprinted the yard and ended up FINALLY catching them and bringing them back. (Kinda wish I had been home to see this...)

There's no way he didn't come in contact with the ivy... so he is now in the shower, clothes in the washer... and my daughter is now wiping down the chicks. I was just wondering if it was possible for them to get poison ivy, or worse... what would happen if they ate some?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Diana

I can't answer positively, but I don't know of any animal that has ever had a case of poison ivy. I'd make your daughter shower too after handling the chicks. The pollen will transfer onto her from the chicks. I'm so alergic to that stuff. If i look at it I get it. Good luck to your kids.

Only humans, great apes and pigs react to poison ivy. For most animals it is important food item (the berries especially). If you are sensitive to the oil, you can get it from touching an animal that has walked through a patch. My mother in law gets it from her dogs all the time. Furthermore, just because you do not react to it now does not mean that you will never react. Repeated exposure can induce sensitivity. I recommend round-up on poison ivy anywhere you might come in contact with it. Pulling it up won't get rid of it!

UGH Im itching just thinking about it!
I too would like to see your son run and jump the fence tho
wink.png

I'm super allergic to it and am letting my chickens eat it in order to get it out of my yard organically. Humans are one of the only animals to be susceptible to it. Your chicks should be fine and well nourished from foraging in it. If I could have a goat to eat it, I would, and I am considering rabbits.

Glad I found this post about poison ivy. I was not aware that most animals were immune to the oil. Fortunately for me I am not a human, great ape, or pig as I am pretty much unaffected by coming in contact with it. In fact last weekend I went through the new run for the girls and pulled out a ton of it because I was worried about their welfare.

Back
Top Bottom