Poison Ivy

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Queen of the Lilliputians, Jun 2, 2007.

  1. Queen of the Lilliputians

    Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

    Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Ok, so this is WAY off topic.. which is why I'm posting here.. sorry to mods if it should go in General instead.

    I try to be a concientious farmer. There are milkweed plants growing in the center of my garden because I know the Monarch Caterpillars need them. I don't use bug killer or weed killer.

    But now I have a huge, monstrous, ugly problem. Freakin' poison IVY! Last summer I resorted to rubber gloves to pull the suckers out of my garden, and still managed to get some when I was washing the clothes I wore that day. This year.. well somehow or other I came into contact with it. I haven't been in the garden in a few days because of the rain, but I have an outcropping of it on my finger that is itching like crazy. And the area behind my garden is now 50% low growing blueberry bushes, 50% poison ivy. ARG! What can I use to get rid of it without ending up in a tub full of Calamine lotion? Or poisoning my soil? The blueberry bushes are wild.. I'd hate to lose them, but at this point I'm ready for some mass extermination as long as it doesn't involve chemicals.

    Thanks!
    Meghan
     
  2. joanm

    joanm Chillin' With My Peeps

    780
    1
    161
    May 13, 2007
    Hi Meghan,

    I have poision ivy in one of by big flower gardens. I breakout if I even look at it. My identical twin sister does not, (go figure) so she gets the pleasure of pulling it out. I've been to the emergency room twice because of it! UGH!

    I'v tried using chemicals, but it only kills the leaves and not the root so I've never used it again. The only thing I can tell you is find someone who is not allergic and make sure they get the roots! If the area is too big, me personally - mass extermination!
     
  3. joanna

    joanna Out Of The Brooder

    92
    0
    29
    Mar 9, 2007
    OK...grand plan! have your sister dig out the blueberry bushes (to transplant) and rototill the crap out of the area, pulling & throwing away (do NOT burn them) the root systems you can find. lay plywood or black plastic over the freshly tilled area (to prevent light getting in) and smother it. then after you are sufficiently satisfied that it's gone & not coming back, you can put your blueberry bushes back.

    or you could try ortho poison ivy killer, shielding the blueberry bushes just in case.

    i've never had poison ivy on my place, so i'm guessing at some of this, but stay out of it and stay healthy. if it makes you feel any better, 85% of people who come in contact with it, will develop a reaction.
     
  4. CarriBrown

    CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

    Too bad I don't live closer to you. Both my parents don't get a reaction and neither do I! [​IMG]
    I think tilling it and then smothering it is the best idea. Have you looked around online to see how to get rid of it?
     
  5. Queen of the Lilliputians

    Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

    Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Great ideas guys!

    And no carribrown, haven't looked anywhere, thought I'd come to the experts first [​IMG]

    Actually, my dad doesn't get it either, but I can't imagine that poor, somewhat old man hunched over trying to remove those things. Lucky you, joanm, with a sister who isn't allergic (although that STINKS you are). My hubby might not be.. he's doesn't know what it looks like, and it's everywhere here!

    I wonder if vinegar would kill it, roots and all? I have heard not to burn it. I'd be afraid to rototill back there... it's pretty rocky. Or I guess I could try boiling water ? ARG! I have been treating the spot on my finger with rubbing alcohol. Feeling better, but still itchy!!

    Meghan
     
  6. justusnak

    justusnak Flock Mistress

    We too have poison ivy everywhere. I heard goats and cows love it....Hmmm, I know someone that raises goats...maybe I can borrow them for a few weeks! LOL I am surrently COVERED in the rash..hands, arms, neck, and now I think some by my eye! Might be time to go see my Dr....UGH! Cant really afford that bill, but cant afford to get it IN my eyes either. THIS is why I LIKE WINTER!!! LOL
     
  7. ChickieDee

    ChickieDee Chillin' With My Peeps

    132
    0
    129
    Apr 21, 2007
    North Central PA
    I just went through a similar problem. I had poison ivy all entangled in my dwarf lillac bush for about 3 years. I was afraid to tackle it because I usually get a pretty bad reaction. Well it was gettin so big it was starting to reach out and try and grab me. I read about, 1 gallon of vinegar with 1 cup salt and 1 tbsp dish soap. I cut each stem near the roots, carefully lifted each piece out of the bush and dipped a paint brush in my solution and painted the cuts near the roots. That was weeks ago and it seems to have worked. I did not, however, go unscathed. I did get the itchies. But I was wearing shorts and a tank(DUH!) and did brush it on me once or twice trying to pull it out(double duh!). But my lillac and I are much happier now. Good Luck. The vinegar solution has also worked very well in a spray bottle on some weeds on my rock path.
    Dee
     
  8. Poison Ivy

    Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

    May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Found this when I googled it. Same as what ChickieDee was saying.

    SIMPLE SOLUTION: Before I tell you about what I've found that works, let me tell you of another alternative solution to herbides: Goats! For some reason, Spanish and Angora goat breeds absolutely love poison ivy. Make sure you get those particular breeds; most others don't like poison ivy for their main meal. I would love to have goats, but my family won't let me... !
    Here is the homemade poison ivy vegetation killer spray that I've found is safe and effective:

    Poison Ivy Vegetation Killer
    1 cup salt
    8 drops liquid detergent
    1 gallon vinegar

    Combine the salt and vinegar in a pan and heat to dissolve the salt. Cool the vinegar, add the detergent, and pour some of the liquid into a large spray bottle. Spray the vegetation. (You can also just pour the mixture onto the weeds.) Refill the spray bottle as necessary. Note that this formula will kill all the vegetation, so make sure that you are only spraying the plants you want to kill. If you need to use a lot of this spray, avoid spraying it near wells, as the salt can leach into your water supply.
     
  9. cookinmom

    cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

    897
    1
    161
    Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    That business about not burning the poison ivy is no joke.. A friend of mine burned some by accident, and all that plant oil (the part we react to) went up in smoke, literally. His face and all of his exposed skin was swollen and red for a week! Even his eyes swelled shut. It even affected his breathing. It was very bad. [​IMG]
     
  10. Saltiena

    Saltiena Chillin' With My Peeps

    300
    0
    149
    Mar 30, 2007
    Peach Bottom
    yea, that has happened to me, my meanie dumb neighbors burned ALOT of it and the wind happened to be blowing toward my house, i got it al over my body, clothes, etc...my trampoline, swing,shed and pool deck all had it so i also got poison ivy on the bottom of my feet-- so so painful and easily spread my face looked like a watermellon :eek:
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by