Poison Mushroom!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ugly Cowboy, Aug 8, 2008.

  1. Ugly Cowboy

    Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

    Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    Ok, some of my hens found a 'shroom and ate most of it before I got over there. I'm just makin sure it aint gonna kill 'em slow and painful. So will they be ok or...
     
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  2. DrakeMaiden

    DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

    Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    I think we'd need a picture to make an identification, before anyone could tell you.

    My suspicion is that they wouldn't have eaten much of it if it were poisonous. It might be good to observe them and keep what's left of the mushroom on-hand, in case anything goes awry.
     
  3. Ugly Cowboy

    Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

    Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  4. lleighmay

    lleighmay Chillin' With My Peeps

    508
    4
    141
    May 21, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    It's my understanding that mushrooms which are poisonous to humans may not be to various types of other animals. That's why it's not a good idea to decide a mushroom is edible just because you see a squirrel or turtle taking a bite.
     
  5. DrakeMaiden

    DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

    Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    Um, OK. Are you sure? Mushrooms are difficult to identify. Do you have experience id'ing mushrooms?
     
  6. Ugly Cowboy

    Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

    Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    Yep. I know a lot of different kinds, especailly in the woods and such, which ones can be ate, which ones caint, and such, for the most part. I dont experement at all though, so dont think I'm dumb or nothin. I'm just makin sure that it aint gonna hurt my poultry none, cuz I know for sure this one's a bad one, for us anyway!
     
  7. DrakeMaiden

    DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

    Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    This mushroom is rare in most parts of North America . . . Primarily a European species, there is no evidence that the Death Cap is native to North America.

    Good chance you might have a similar, but different mushroom, unless you KNOW they are found in your area.​
     
  8. DrakeMaiden

    DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

    Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    Also, are you sure it isn't just inedible, but that it IS poisonous and it is with 100% certainty a Death Cap? No photos of your specimen?
     
  9. Ugly Cowboy

    Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

    Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    99% certain it is. And I dont have a camera, so I caint upload a photo.
     
  10. RockyToggRanch

    RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

    May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I live in the forest and there are mushrooms everywhere. Including on and around the horse manure pile and in the muddy part of the paddock. My chickens freerange and I assume they know what to eat and what not to eat. Please tell me I don't have to stress over shrooms now....
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by