Poison Oak/Ivy

catfish

Songster
11 Years
Apr 13, 2008
Greenbrier, Arkansas
My chicks have doen suck a good job cleaning up the run I expanded their rage last night. The original run had a few patches of Poison Ivy in it. Its gone now. Well right behind the run is an area of Hickory Trees with tons more poison Ivy for them seemed like the perfect place to expand the run to 50'x50' they've got lots more room now to kill the weeds.

Chickens eat poison oak and poison ivy???!! Heck!, if that's the case, I'm moving mine all over the place. I just found another huge patch of poison oak and I'm sick of it sneaking in and getting me while I'm out doing yard work! I almost started crying when I saw that huge pile.
big_smile.png
It was roughly 6ft tall!!!!
somad.gif
rant.gif

I added to the run last night and they acted like the fence was still there, today that changed and they've explored the whole area looking for critters to eat. I bet in a month or so the poison ivy will be gone along with the dandelions.
They enjoy the heavy cover too.

My chickens won't eat the poison ivy or at least I've never seen them
do it. I'm sure if it was their run they would eat it for fun.

Poison Oak & Ivy does not affect birds. The two things that concern me
is if they get the oils on their feathers and pass it on to their handlers or
if there is a way for them to hold the oil in their meat or eggs. I know a guy
who's daughter is SEVERELY allergic to strawberries. One time she
had a reaction after eating meat from a chicken who ate lots of strawberries.

Been to Heber Springs Arkansas ,nice place.

I did not know that Poison Oak & Ivy did not affect birds.It sure affects me,hmm hope it don't get in there egg's.

My neighbor/friend's flock cleared out a bunch of poison ivy that was growing up against his barn area. Then my friend, his wife, and I all got it from them. I had it on my hands, inner arms and on the side of one lower leg. We didn't know yet that they had found and cleared the patch when we were handling them.

Now, my girls HATE to be handled, though I raised them up from day-olds with gentle daily handling, so no problems there. My Roo, however, gets snuggles on a daily basis. THAT would be a problem!

Back
Top Bottom