1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Poison on roosters' spurs????

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BaGAWK!!, Dec 23, 2011.

1. BaGAWK!!

BaGAWK!! Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN
    Oooookaay....I went to look at s guy's chickens who informed me that roosters have prison in their spurs. That's why it hurts so bad when they flog you. He said, "I would know, the doctor said he would have to remove my leg after I for spurred in the knee...". And then he showed me the scars. Um. No. Really??

And I believed him for maybe 1, 2 seconds...this is not true. Is it?

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Maybe the bacteria living on the rooster's spurs is the culprit. Who knows what our chickens put their feet in while scratching in the dirt. Just like some folks are susceptible to the bacteria found in cat's claws.

3. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Yea, it's the bacteria *on the spurs, the toenails, the beak, cat's claws.....you get the picture. Spurs have the ability to send that bacteria deeper than toenails because they're longer & sharper. Instead of using the word "poison" he should've used "bacteria". But I suppose for someone with battle scars he can use whatever term he wants lol

4. BaGAWK!!

BaGAWK!! Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN
    I suspected it was the bacteria his dr. was referring to also, I offered that up as an explanation and he said, No, it was POISON!! Too funny.

5. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    BaGAWK!! :

I suspected it was the bacteria his dr. was referring to also, I offered that up as an explanation and he said, No, it was POISON!! Too funny.

I bet it sure felt like poison in his leg lol​

6. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Any puncture wound can become infected very fast as it close up fast leaving the toxins trapped in the wound and that is where the infection comes into play and can spread very fast.
    That is why it is good to have a wound bleed a bit when ya have been injured by something so it your blood can flush it out.

I was bitten by a spider several years ago that caused an infection in my system from the infected wound and was literally at deaths door.

7. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Roosters are not poisonous. I've heard the same thing about cats, that they have poison in their claws or in their teeth. It isn't true. They do, however, carry bacteria that can infect a wound.

8. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Well, the male platypus have venomous spurs on their rear legs, but chicken roosters definitely don't have poisonous spurs!

Edit: Wrote poisonous instead of venomous. When a toxic substance is injected like through spines and fangs, it is venomous. When toxic substances coat the outside of an organism, like their skin or on leaves, it is poisonous.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  9. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    BaGAWK!! :

Oooookaay....I went to look at s guy's chickens who informed me that roosters have prison in their spurs. That's why it hurts so bad when they flog you. He said, "I would know, the doctor said he would have to remove my leg after I for spurred in the knee...". And then he showed me the scars. Um. No. Really??

And I believed him for maybe 1, 2 seconds...this is not true. Is it?

I think he was pulling your leg...........that spur is just like a long, sharp fingernail, dead on the very end with vessels down deep in it. Sure you could get cellulitis from it, but so could you from its beak or a hens toenails.​

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Maybe he confused roosters with a platypus. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by