Poison with sisters?

Emojikitten

Songster
Mar 26, 2017
Earth
Poison Ivy had 3 siblings. One was a rooster, and we aren't allowed to keep roosters in our area... We gave him to a better home. One died from heart failure, and while innocent Coconut and Ivy were grazing in our large backyard, a hawk came down and killed her sister. Ivy has been alone in the coop and backyard for 5 months, and shes drowning deeper in the void of depression every second shes alive. I want to do something. I bought chicks a few weeks ago and they have grown at 3-4 weeks. They've already met Ivy and love to play with her. There's one particular chick who already has most of her feathers and is huge. I mean, huge! I want to put her outside with Ivy so she won't be lonely while we're waiting for the other chicks to grow up. After tons of research and talking to my friends who own poultry, I learned that most chickens will "adopt chicks" and take them under their wing. Before I risk innocent Emily's life, I want to make sure Ivy won't go and attack her or Emily will die. I love all my hens, and Ivy's depression has hit me hard, and it's rubbed off on me as well. So, After this huge un-needed essay, will Emily be safe with Ivy in the coop? I will provide as much information about Ivy, the chicks, the coop, their health, and whatever you need to answer me. Thank you so much.

Can you set all the chicks up in their own space in the coop so they are close but safe? That's normally the ideal way to integrate.

We may be able to. We currently have the babies in my room in a cage under a heating lamp with all the supplies they need. I don't think that we would build their own spot, we would just wait until they are older. Thanks for your suggestion!

What are the dimensions of the coop? How many chicks dd you get, and what kind? Just wondering if the large one is a meat type.

I am not sure of the dimensions. Ivy (The bigger one, about 1 year and 14 days) is a White Wyandotte, but we don't use her for profit, shes only a pet. I have 4 chicks (About 3 weeks and 3 days), 2 are Partridge Welsummers, and 2 are black sex links which we are also using as pets.

I am not sure of the dimensions. Ivy (The bigger one, about 1 year and 14 days) is a White Wyandotte, but we don't use her for profit, shes only a pet. I have 4 chicks (About 3 weeks and 3 days), 2 are Partridge Welsummers, and 2 are black sex links which we are also using as pets.
Sorry, but there is NO WAY they will all fit in a coop too small for a brooder. is it pre-fab?

Sorry, but there is NO WAY they will all fit in a coop too small for a brooder. is it pre-fab?

That is not entirely accurate. We would need to see the setup. Perhaps the brooder is a large dog crate that wouldn't fit through the cleaning hatch on a smaller raised coop or wouldn't fit without removing nest boxes/perches/etc. because the height of the brooder and ceiling height in the coop are similar. I have a home built 4ft x5ft coop, but there's no way I could easily just slip a brooder in there and not compromise the space for the existing bird(s).

Is there a way to introduce the chick(s) to Ivy so that she can see them but not touch them? Even if for a few hours? I once put new birds in a small cat carrier inside the run for several hours so they could all see each other but none of the chickens could harm each other. Perhaps the chick could be supervised on the opposite side of the run fence on short outings so they can get used to seeing each other. Perhaps you can put a temporary divider in the run so they can be near each other for short periods until they get more comfortable with each other.

Back
Top Bottom