1. little_giant

little_giant Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2009
    i was giving one of my chickens hydrogen peroxide for its wound when my other chicken (Cornish X 1 yr. old)
    came and put it in its mouth. the hydrogen peroxide was on a cotton ball and the chicken put the cotton ball in its mouth.
    it didnt sallow it and i pulled it out of its mouth. not sure if she swallowed it.
    i let her drink and eat after that.
    everything seems normal except that she keeps wiping her mouth on he floor.
    is this OK?

2. msdoolittle

msdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    It should be fine. I'd worry more about it eating the cotton ball than the peroxide, honestly! Just keep an eye on her.

3. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I am reluctant to offer advice as I do not know for sure if the hydrogen peroxide is poisonous (though I doubt it.) The poor thing is probably trying to get that awful taste out of his mouth. Ack! If it were my bird I would give it some really good and gooey treats, like cookies or peanut butter or cheese, something that will linger in it's mouth and take away the ooky taste.

Jenny

4. little_giant

little_giant Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2009
    thank you!
    ill give her some bread.

5. SB Austex

SB Austex Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2010
    Austin
    Not suggesting it translates to chickens, but I've (by vet recommendation) purposefully administered hydrogen peroxide to my dogs when they've eaten some poisons (ant traps). It works like syrup of ipecac - makes them vomit for about 15 minutes, then they're fine.

6. WonderChicken

WonderChicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    High Ridge, Missouri
    Quote:Just a word of caution: according to my local vet: like horses, chickens do not have the ability to throw up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by