Poisonous plants and Vermiculite/Perlite

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BuffOrpington88, May 20, 2012.

  1. BuffOrpington88

    BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

    1,395
    206
    226
    Mar 20, 2012
    Hi!
    Are honeysuckles poisonous? My chickens peck at them sometimes.
    Also, is it alright if they eat the white pebbles in potting soil? (Possibly vermiculite and perlite)
    Thank you!
     
  2. Kikiriki

    Kikiriki Songster

    935
    61
    186
    May 26, 2011
    Roanoke County, Virginia
    Honeysuckle is toxic, but watch to see if they are actually eating the plant before yanking it...they may be getting bugs or just tasting it. I have a jasmine my son planted that I wanted to keep, bit the girls did seem to be trying to eat it...I chased them away, and I guess I will have to move it.

    Here is a very good list of safe and toxic plants:

    http://www.plannedparrothood.com/plants.html

    Perlite is just volcanic rock and it should not harm them.
     
  3. ignatz

    ignatz In the Brooder

    43
    5
    30
    Mar 8, 2012
    Nunya
    Chickens know what they can and can't eat. They're no different from wild birds that know what they can and can't eat. It's one of those things that's just there...some species of animals are born with this information and others, like humans, are not. If it's an 'unknown', such as the 'white pebbles' you're talking about, chickens will taste test it sometimes. They pretty well know what they're doing far better than *we* know what we're doing with them.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: