Poisonous Plants for chickens

cfarmhouse

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2020
I am wanting to have a backyard coop but am concerned as I'm an avid gardener about a few of the plants in my yard if they are to free roam while I'm outside. I have English ivy growing in the backyard, and I have trumpet Vine over the area providing shade where I wanted to give them a free area to roam on the side of the house. I had seen that both of those are on the toxic list however I've also seen it suggested where people say to plant trumpet Vine over a coop? The neighbor on the other side of my 6' fence has oleanders planted. Will the chickens eat any leaves that have dropped over on my side of the fence or do they tend to stay away from them like dogs?

In my experience, chickens know what's good for them and what isn't. My large run has lots of lilies in it, which are toxic, but the chickens never nibble them. They do gather under them for shade, and dig for bugs under them. My lilies are gorgeous and healthy due to the chickens cultivating and fertilizing them! I also have daffodils about the yard where the chickens free range but they don't bother them either.

Back
Top Bottom