Poisonous Plants You Should Never Expose To Your Flock

Blue Raptor

Ad Astra Per Aspera
Premium Feather Member
Feb 20, 2021
Deutschland 🇩🇪
My Coop
My Coop
There have been threads where people have said that their chickens have gotten sick from eating a leaves/fruit but here is a list of plants/food that are toxic for chickens. If someone asks about toxic plants/food for chickens and how to avoid them, direct them to this thread please. Hopefully it will make things easier for people.

Toxic Plants for Chickens:
  • (Black) Deadly Nightshade
  • Bloodroot
  • Bull Nettle
  • Bracken
  • Bryony
  • Carelessweed
  • Castor Bean
  • Clematis
  • Cocklebur
  • Corn Cockle
  • Curly Dock
  • Daphne Berries
  • Delphinium
  • Some Ferns
  • Foxglove
  • Some Fungi
  • Ground Ivy
  • Hemlock
  • Horse Chestnut
  • Hyacinth
  • Hydrangea
  • Ivy
  • Most ornamental Irises
  • Laburnum (seed)
  • Lantana
  • Lily of the Valley
  • Meadow Buttercup
  • Oleander
  • Potato Sprouts
  • Privet
  • Rapeseed
  • Rhubarb Leaves
  • Nightshade (Also called Deadly Nightshade)
  • Rhododendron
  • St. John's Wort
  • Tulip
  • Water Hemlock (Cicuta maculata L.
  • Yew
Toxic Foods for Chickens:
  • Plants that are part of the nightshade family - Members of the nightshade family include potatoes, tomatoes, and eggplant. The Latin name for these plants is Solanaceae. This is because they contain a compound called solanine. This is toxic to chickens. The compound can be broken down if the plants are cooked however. So any cooked potatoes or tomatoes are generally okay to give to your chickens. If you are worried, it is better to just not feed these plants to your chickens.
  • Onions - Fed in large quantities onions can cause anemia or jaundice, and sometimes it can be fatal. This is because it contains thiosulphate which destroys red blood cells.
  • Avocados - Avocados contain the toxin persin. This has been associated with myocardial necrosis, which is where the heart stops working.
  • Apple seeds - The seeds contain cyanide which can kill your chickens. Any other part of the apple is fine, so when giving them apple ensure they are seed free.
  • Citrus fruit - Citrus fruits probably won’t kill your chickens, however they do cause a drop in egg production. Fed in moderation is ok.
  • Dried, raw beans - Uncooked beans contain hemaglutin which can be toxic to your chickens. Cooked beans are fine.
  • Chocolate or sweet things - Chocolate contains toxin methylxanthines theobromine. Just like too much sugar is bad for humans, too much sugar can cause your chickens to be overweight leading to a drop in egg production.
  • Salty foods - Chickens can suffer from salt poisoning, as they don’t naturally ingest a lot of salt.
  • Moldy food - Moldy food should never be fed to chickens as the mold can cause illness and may be fatal. Overripe, wilted vegetables, or stale bread is all fine as long as mold is not present.
Here is a link to the website in case you need it: https://www.omlet.us/guide/chickens/chicken_care/poisonous_plants_and_food/
Hope this has been helpful!

Purple nightshade grows wild all over here. I'm always cutting it down because the word "nightshade" causes me to worry. Anybody know how toxic this is, or if chickens will try to eat it?

My geese and chickens eat nettle all the time. The geese seem to like it and will pick it out from the other weeds at the edge of our forest the chickens don't eat it as often as the geese but I have seen them a few times. We also have 3 huge apple trees right by the coop and the chickens and other birds eat them all. There is never any apples left on the ground by the end of the day. Before I had a lot of birds there would be mounds of apples over the entire lawn fermenting and attracting wasps and other insects. So they eat a ton of apples and I have never had any issues with that, I know they do contain cyanide but its such a small amount not even 3 overgrown apple trees can produce enough seeds to give any of my birds issues.

My geese and chickens eat nettle all the time. The geese seem to like it and will pick it out from the other weeds at the edge of our forest the chickens don't eat it as often as the geese but I have seen them a few times. We also have 3 huge apple trees right by the coop and the chickens and other birds eat them all. There is never any apples left on the ground by the end of the day. Before I had a lot of birds there would be mounds of apples over the entire lawn fermenting and attracting wasps and other insects. So they eat a ton of apples and I have never had any issues with that, I know they do contain cyanide but its such a small amount not even 3 overgrown apple trees can produce enough seeds to give any of my birds issues.
Correction for the nettle. Its not bull nettle they are eating we don't have that around here.

Purple nightshade grows wild all over here. I'm always cutting it down because the word "nightshade" causes me to worry. Anybody know how toxic this is, or if chickens will try to eat it?
You should be wary of all nighshade when it comes to chickens. They probably will try to eat it, and it is dangerous for them to eat it.

There have been threads where people have said that their chickens have gotten sick from eating a leaves/fruit but here is a list of plants/food that are toxic for chickens. If someone asks about toxic plants/food for chickens and how to avoid them, direct them to this thread please. Hopefully it will make things easier for people.

• Bloodroot
  • Bull Nettle
  • Bracken
  • Bryony
  • Carelessweed
  • Castor Bean
  • Clematis
  • Cocklebur
  • Corn Cockle
  • Curly Dock
  • Daphne Berries
  • Delphinium
  • Some Ferns
  • Foxglove
  • Some Fungi
  • Ground Ivy
  • Hemlock
  • Horse Chestnut
  • Hyacinth
  • Hydrangea
  • Ivy
  • Most ornamental Irises
  • Laburnum (seed)
  • Lantana
  • Lily of the Valley
  • Meadow Buttercup
  • Oleander
  • Potato Sprouts
  • Privet
  • Rapeseed
  • Rhubarb Leaves
  • Rhododendron
  • St. John's Wort
  • Tulip
  • Yew
  • Plants that are part of the nightshade family - Members of the nightshade family include potatoes, tomatoes, and eggplant. The Latin name for these plants is Solanaceae. This is because they contain a compound called solanine. This is toxic to chickens. The compound can be broken down if the plants are cooked however. So any cooked potatoes or tomatoes are generally okay to give to your chickens. If you are worried, it is better to just not feed these plants to your chickens.
  • Onions - Fed in large quantities onions can cause anemia or jaundice, and sometimes it can be fatal. This is because it contains thiosulphate which destroys red blood cells.
  • Avocados - Avocados contain the toxin persin. This has been associated with myocardial necrosis, which is where the heart stops working.
  • Apple seeds - The seeds contain cyanide which can kill your chickens. Any other part of the apple is fine, so when giving them apple ensure they are seed free.
  • Citrus fruit - Citrus fruits probably won’t kill your chickens, however they do cause a drop in egg production. Fed in moderation is ok.
  • Dried, raw beans - Uncooked beans contain hemaglutin which can be toxic to your chickens. Cooked beans are fine.
  • Chocolate or sweet things - Chocolate contains toxin methylxanthines theobromine. Just like too much sugar is bad for humans, too much sugar can cause your chickens to be overweight leading to a drop in egg production.
  • Salty foods - Chickens can suffer from salt poisoning, as they don’t naturally ingest a lot of salt.
  • Moldy food - Moldy food should never be fed to chickens as the mold can cause illness and may be fatal. Overripe, wilted vegetables, or stale bread is all fine as long as mold is not present.
Here is a link to the website in case you need it: https://www.omlet.us/guide/chickens/chicken_care/poisonous_plants_and_food/
I have seen some of these plants growing around our property (our chickens free range) but i have never seen a chicken eat them. Are the chickens smart enough to know which plants are toxic, or should i be concerned? I was thinking specifically of our ornamental irises, which we have had the whole time we have had chickens, but i have never seen them eat it.
edit: we also have lantana, but i have not seen the chickens bother it either

Last edited:

• Bloodroot
  • Bull Nettle
  • Bracken
  • Bryony
  • Carelessweed
  • Castor Bean
  • Clematis
  • Cocklebur
  • Corn Cockle
  • Curly Dock
  • Daphne Berries
  • Delphinium
  • Some Ferns
  • Foxglove
  • Some Fungi
  • Ground Ivy
  • Hemlock
  • Horse Chestnut
  • Hyacinth
  • Hydrangea
  • Ivy
  • Most ornamental Irises
  • Laburnum (seed)
  • Lantana
  • Lily of the Valley
  • Meadow Buttercup
  • Oleander
  • Potato Sprouts
  • Privet
  • Rapeseed
  • Rhubarb Leaves
  • Rhododendron
  • St. John's Wort
  • Tulip
  • Yew
Oh my goodness, I have been feeding my chickens and ducks tomatoes from the garden. (Not cooked.). Have I been poisoning my poor chickens? 😔

Back
Top Bottom