1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

poisonous plants

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by snowflake, Sep 30, 2010.

1. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    [​IMG][​IMG] is there a list of poisonous plants some were? I want to get some low growing ground cover junipers I have noticed they are covered with blue berry's this time of year. I'm wondering if the berry's are poisonous?

2. Moabite

Moabite Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Utah
    That is what they make gin out of. Must not be too poisonous.

3. snowflake

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    [​IMG] you mean I may be intoxicating them or making them .......very happy?......... Good to know thank you. They have dug up so many plants I have been looking for something they will leave a lone.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  5. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    Chickens will just about dig anything that is in dirt. But there may be something out there that someone has planted and has kept them from digging.

6. Ed62

Ed62 Chillin' With My Peeps

That's a great link. Thanks for posting.

Ed

7. snowflake

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    [​IMG] E.S. thank you for the link, I knew someone would have it. I think at least 1/2 of what I have in my garden is on that list. Now I have to go through and see what the risks are, I was surprised to see garlic and onion on the list, as garlic is in a recipe for de worming.

8. Riverdale

Riverdale Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    Riverdale, MI
    Thanks for the link!

About the only thing my chickens won't eat are Eastern Tent Catipillars.
    They are chock full of arsenic. The hens seem to know that.

9. cheri222

cheri222 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Erie PA
    One berry bush I have that is safe--Winterberry and they have been eating them. Only thing is you need a male and female bush and only one will get berries.

10. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    I am going to offer this list of toxic plants from the Canadian ag agency (click). It may be especially appropriate for you there in Michigan. If there are specific instances in the literature of livestock poisonings, they are cited. Species of livestock affected and how they are affected are also noted.

Here is another list from the Purdue University School of Veterinary Medicine on Plants Poisonous to Livestock and Pets (click).

The "poultryhelp" information is from the "Reptile Keeper's Handbook."

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by