1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Poisonous plants

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by froghollowfarm, Jul 18, 2008.

1. froghollowfarm

froghollowfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2008
    I was considering planting crown vetch for erosion control near my barn. I know it's toxic to horses (I don't keep horses), but I was wondering if this plant or any other was something that could be dangerous to chickens.

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I don't know about poisonous but it is a very evasive plant. Takes over everything, but is good for erosion and drought resistance.

3. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    Snow on the mountain is another plant that grows anywhere & any place and is attractive and It is not poisonious.

Maybe not at pretty as vetch either

4. leasmom

leasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    The other day I gave mine some pretty bird berries and some purple flowers and then I looked it up to see what I fed them...it was nightshade!! Touching it is dangerous and its right near their coop, so i've got to figure out how to get it away from them.

5. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

When you uproot the deadly nightshade, wear two layers of latex gloves and throw them away immediately and seal the waste container. Don't leave any parts of the plants around, they need to be burned or taken away. Do not compost. Be careful not to touch your lips, mouth or nose while working. Uprooting is the only non-toxic way to get rid of it. We had some this year too.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  6. cmcgoun

cmcgoun Chillin' With My Peeps

Crown Vetch would not be a good choice, although it was introduced into the US for erosion control it dosent do its job. Since it has a tap root rather than fibrous roots, it actually provides little erosion control. Its a highly invasive and unwanted species that like Kudzu destroys vegatation kills tress, and so on. It may be pretty, but most states hate it! And yes it can be toxic to several animals, but chickens I dont know, it will induce vomiting and lead to paralysis in horses. Another thing is that it dosent spread by using roots it spreads by seeds, which means they could get carried to unwanted areas where it would sprout and quickly take over!

7. karanleaf

karanleaf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    Glenwood, Missouri
    cmcgoun, I also would stay away from the veatch it is a troublesome plant.. [​IMG]

leasmom, I fought with Nightshade in our pasture for a couple of years I would go out with a 5 gal bucket and pull all of it I could see,,, [​IMG]
    You should have seen the bond fire from burning it..[​IMG]
    then DH took his weed burner and torched the large amounts of it growing on the pond bank. [​IMG] :thun
    I still pull 1 every now and then but it is nothing like it was THANK GOODNESS [​IMG]
    I hope you have it pulled out so your flock can't get it.. I don't know what it would even do to their eggs....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by