Pokeweed and ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tatswell, Aug 21, 2013.

1. tatswell

tatswell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    Southern New England
    Hello all.
    I have a few 4ft stems of pokeweed growing in the duck coop (along with a blueberry bush) and an apple tree outside of the coop. I chose to put the 20x10 coop around these for shade.
    Some say pokeweed is toxic, others say it does not seem to bother them, and some say the ducks just leave it alone. I have seen my two ducks nibble at the leaves every now and then. Do you suppose this is okay? They seem fine, but I'd rather pull it out (even though they enjoy sitting under the thick leaves) if there is any risk.
    WWYD?! :)

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/335014/poke-weed-and-poke-berries

3. tatswell

tatswell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    Southern New England
    Thanks for the reply. I did see this thread before posting mine however, I could not come to a conclusion. (Some say it is toxic, others say it does not bother their ducks/ their ducks do not bother the plant).
    What would you, or anyone else, do? Pull it out?

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    My old time mountain friend eat poke when very young, sauté in butter or olive oil, I have eaten it very good, My flock doesn't eat it at all, When they use to range over a larger area it was around and I never saw them eat any. I was always under the impression they knew which plants weren't good for them and stay away from them. They may nibble just to try it but if the aren't out and out eating it then I'd leave it. But what ever feels comfortable to you is what to do. Sometimes if I see something growing in my flocks ranging area and I'm not sure what it is or it's the only one of them I will pull it out. But I watch them to see what plants they are eating too. Some say Comfrey isn't good for ducks or birds but I read an article about feeding comfrey to live stock and I cut Comfrey and feed it to my flock They like it. I don't give it to the everyday but maybe one a month when it's growing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by