POL kicking flooring around?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by oakeve, Apr 8, 2017.

1. oakeve

oakeve Just Hatched

Apr 8, 2017
    Hampshire, UK
    Hey,

So I am new to Hens but I am loving every minute of it so far.

Nearly 2 weeks ago, we got four hens - point of lay I believe they are called..

These were two Light sussex and two warrens. After two days, one of the warrens called Debbie (haha) started laying! Got our first egg. She has layed an egg every day for us since. She's currently in her nesting box laying as I type.

A few days ago, we decided to add another two warrens. They are settling in okay and there has been minimal pecking.

Our two light sussex, are the eldest, but aren't laying yet. They must be around 20 weeks now. When I pet them, they squat for me and get super protective over things. One (Suzie) is in with Debbie in their house but she's kicking around all the straw/woodshavings on the floor. She's done this for two days now and I thought she might be nearly ready to lay - is this wishful thinking?

I was just wondering if anyone can tell me more about why Suzie keeps kicking all the flooring around and pecking at it?

It's my Birthday today so was hoping another hen may lay!

Thanks in advance,

Eve

:)

2. oakeve

oakeve Just Hatched

Apr 8, 2017
    Hampshire, UK
    Oh, and the sussex in question has got a bit of a messy bum lately which I've read before can mean she's close to laying??[​IMG]

3. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    Sounds like she'll lay in a day or two.[​IMG] GC

4. oakeve

oakeve Just Hatched

Apr 8, 2017
    Hampshire, UK
    Gosh still nothing!! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by