POL odd backing up behaviour *video*?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by remuda1, Aug 11, 2011.

1. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    Here's a quick video that I took this morning. Just noticed her doing this for the first time late yesterday evening. Any ideas? Anything I should be concerned about? Any thoughts are welcome.

[​IMG]

Wow, I just previewed that. Hope the video speed is better for y'all than it was for me [​IMG]

ETA: video notation in subject line

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I noticed that off camera and then entering from camera right was a roo? Is that correct?

The backing up behavior is likely a pullet a little shy of that rooster and now that knows (senses) the mating urge and understands that she will be or already has been mounted. She's likely just a little shy about it all.

3. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    Yes, there is a roo that enters the picture from the right. However, the first time in the video that she backs up, the roo is well behind her to the right under the horse trailer and not yet approaching. At this point, there doesn't seem to be a "cue" when she does this. All of these girls have been mounted, the three cuckoo marans pullets are the only ones that look like they may lay any day now. The Black Copper's combs and wattles are still pretty dark. Thanks for the suggestions and I will start watching more closely to see if the roo's proximity is a factor. Have you ever noticed this behavior in your pullets?

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Yes, I have seen them back up from one perceived to be "higher" in order, even from me.

I must say, that pullet has it down, though!! [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by