POL- signs it’s close?

Shugercube

Songster
Apr 17, 2022
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Ok. I’m getting anxious now lol. My oldest girls are 16 weeks exactly. When should I reasonably expect to see my first egg?

I know it varies by breed- my BR, Pepper, and CM, Mama, both hatched 4/25. Then I have a RIR, silkie, and 2 australorps that are 1-2 weeks behind them. And 2 EE that I have no idea how old they are, but I think they’re also in the 14ish week range based on their size. I have other hens but they’re definitely at least a month or two away still.

Anyway, I’m just really excited about one day (hopefully) soon waking up to find an egg! Mama and Pepper (my 2 oldest gals) both seem to be getting brighter combs/wattles, so I’m hoping that means it could be any day now. Are there any other signs to watch out for?

Pepper is the nosiest. Here she is photobombing a pic I was *trying* to take of my BCM Percival 🤣
D99BE756-ECC9-4E13-BD4A-91114D9FC4F9.jpeg

And here’s Mama, not the greatest shot but she was feeling camera shy today 🤷🏼‍♀️
D0CF6E88-3941-4CC7-8D5D-21DA2BE5CF0A.jpeg

Ok. I’m getting anxious now lol. My oldest girls are 16 weeks exactly. When should I reasonably expect to see my first egg?

I know it varies by breed- my BR, Pepper, and CM, Mama, both hatched 4/25. Then I have a RIR, silkie, and 2 australorps that are 1-2 weeks behind them. And 2 EE that I have no idea how old they are, but I think they’re also in the 14ish week range based on their size. I have other hens but they’re definitely at least a month or two away still.

Anyway, I’m just really excited about one day (hopefully) soon waking up to find an egg! Mama and Pepper (my 2 oldest gals) both seem to be getting brighter combs/wattles, so I’m hoping that means it could be any day now. Are there any other signs to watch out for?

Pepper is the nosiest. Here she is photobombing a pic I was *trying* to take of my BCM Percival 🤣
View attachment 3190402

And here’s Mama, not the greatest shot but she was feeling camera shy today 🤷🏼‍♀️
View attachment 3190403
Lovely birds. This is a good article by @aart that also applies to when birds are getting close to laying. You may want to check it out if you haven't already. The first egg is always exiting! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom