1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Poland hen acting beyond bonkers!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by usamel, Aug 5, 2013.

1. usamel

usamel Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    Sheffield, England
    Ive got two new Poland's I've added three days ago. One is settled, happy and fine. The other keeps screaming and running the yard and bashing herself into the coop walls, plant pots, anything really. She is not settled at all. I know Poland's are quirky but this looks like constant insanity! Any advice? Thanks!

2. bauerdog

bauerdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2012
    central jersey
    Does the nutty one have a large crest and/or beard? it could be that she cannot see very well and is panicky in her new environment. Trimming some of the feathers away may help.....

3. usamel

Aug 5, 2013
    Sheffield, England
    Aargh!!!!! She laid a darn egg!!! Lol She didn't know where to go or what to do bless her. Laid right on the coop floor ground level. Lord help me stay sane with this new girl. Lol She is calm as a cucumber now. :0

4. GranmaEm

GranmaEm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2013
    Manhattan, NY
    Got to love these Polish girls and their nutty behaviour!

Chickadee did the same thing until she clicked that the nesting box is the right spot. Now she just goes off and 7/10 times I'll find the egg in the nesting box, the other 3 times at least quite close to it :)

1 person likes this.
  5. usamel

Aug 5, 2013
    Sheffield, England
    Im new to Polands so its all a hilarious learning curve for me! They seem to require much more watching than my Pekins.

6. GranmaEm

GranmaEm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2013
    Manhattan, NY
    Dozy but affectionate. My favourite hen, by far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by