1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Polenta OK for chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by barg, Jun 22, 2007.

1. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    My husband is usually the one that does the posting, but I am hijacking his ID to ask a question. He spends more time with you guys than he does with me since I brought home these darned chickens. [​IMG]

We do not have a feed store that is close to us. We are nearly out of the corn that was sold to us as "baby chick corn" - basically small cracked corn. The chickens are absolutely ape over this stuff and beg for it whenever we come near the coop. At the grocery store, they sell cracked corn in the bulk bins as polenta or hominy or something. Is this OK to give to them? I don't want to deprive them of their "fix". [​IMG]

Thanks for any opinions and for keeping Steve supplied with all the chicken info!

2. poppycat

poppycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    I'm sure it's fine. You can also buy cracked corn in the birdseed section of the store, might be a little cheeper (sorry, bad pun)

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

yeah, it will be fine. Personally I don't like to give too many "sugar" treats to the chickens, especially this time of the year. It makes the birds fat and this can shorten their lives and cause laying problems later down the line.

4. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I'm sure it's fine for treats... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by