Police came out this evening.

comerrick

Songster
11 Years
May 15, 2008
:mad:
We finally made a chicken tractor for the chickens because a hawk ate one of them. There goes the whole idea of free ranging...So now that they are in the tractor during the day, they are noticable. That in turn cause my nosy neighbors to call the police on us.
roll.png

Dh freaked out when the cop showed up and overreacted. Thankfully I calmed him down and showed the cop that we were actually in compliance. He was satified and left. Sigh, it is so trying sometimes living in the burbs. I actually am a farm girl trapped in a suburban world but God wants me here.

Well the details are in my blog.
Lov
Liv

Last edited:
That is why I absolutely hated living in town. If you can't fit in with the Jones's, they call the cops on you, and create so much animosity and tension in the neighbourhood. I sooooohate that--trying to figue out who it was, and trying to act like nothing happened all the while just steaming b/c someone actually hadthe gall to call the cops on you.
somad.gif

How ridiculous that someone would call the police and waste their time over someone having chickens
barnie.gif
I am trying to imagine this phone call and how stupid it must have sounded
roll.png

I'm glad everything was fine . . . imagine the trouble if you weren't in compliance! Still, sorry you had to deal with it at all . . .
sad.png

So what did you do to show him that you were in compliance? And what were the rules? Was it about how many chickens you're allowed to have- feet to to property line and house? Do you keep the ordinance on hand for such circumstances?

No roosters and coop has to be 50 ft from other buildings. It is in the garage, 50ft from the neighbors. No roosters. No loudness at all from them and no smell so it looked really good beside being in compliance.
Lov
Liv

Hope the neighbors don't freak anymore, and it's good the officer thought it was all good and isn't intending to come back. Cute blog, by the way--and I testify that geese will eat anything you put in front of them. Mine loved the leaves off of corn stalks and my onions, and ...pretty much everything in my garden that they could get their adorable little beaks on. They, in concert with my chickens pretty well demolished my garden last year.

On the other hand, I know we have hawks in my area--I've seen them from my back porch--but I haven't lost any of my chickens when I let them out to free range, so the hawk bit must be true.

And good for you about keeping the food and water. It's great to have church leaders that urge us to be prepared for catastrophes, isn't it? My food storage has gotten me through a lot.

Back
Top Bottom