Police!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by budda, May 12, 2011.

1. budda

budda Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Atlanta GA
    Police and code enforcement are not bad folks. Generally the only reason they will knock on your door in regards to busting you for your illegal chickens is if someone else called and complained. Knocking on your door to rile your feathers is not exactly what I think 99.9% of the police and code enforcement officers would consider fun. It's just something that has to be done if someone complains. It's called "Follow through". If someone complains, the police dept or code enforcement dept has to "investigate".

I have read a few posts on here that make the police and code enforcement officers sound like terrible folks who have a grudge against chicken owners. I seriously doubt that.

Now...I got to get back to work building a new coop for my illegal chickens. I just hope I don't get dispatched to my own house!!

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Welcome to the wonderful world of keeping chickens!

I used to be a dispatcher and a dispatch supervisor, over 27 years in the Comm Centers of two different agencies. Back then, I didn't have chickens, but I DID occasionally hear on the radio, "Center, your beagle is out again." <*blush*>

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  3. TheBrumstead

TheBrumstead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Hobart, IN
    It all depends on the cop... A few winters ago, we had a run in with the "code enforcement" officer who claimed we were abusing our horses because they were outside. Told me he "felt bad" because they had snow on their backs, admitted he had no horse experience and took us to court about it. Luckily the prosecutor looked at our pictures, said he wasn't concerned and dropped it. Turns out this "officer" used to be the chief and was knocked down by the new mayor.

I've already checked into our chicken laws and he can't touch us if hubby says yes.

4. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Considering the number of psycho people who attack police, or heck ANYONE who knocks...I reckon it might even be a full 100%.

6. Dunkopf

Dunkopf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Kiowa, Colorado
    Quote:That's funny about the snow on their backs. Did you explain that the reason they have that snow on their backs is because they have 2 layers of hair and they don't loose enough body heat to melt it? My mother was shocked we didn't have a barn for our horses. I asked her what she thought wild horses did. She figured they lived in caves or something. [​IMG]

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    CAVE horses???

[​IMG]

8. first time farmer

first time farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    My neighbors do not like me they have called the police on me for a number of reasons.

1. They say my truck is too loud, well it is loud but its legal so they cant do anything about it

2. They dont like my animals at all they say there dirty and gross, which again they are not (i have a dog and chickens at my house the rest of my animals are at my parents house)

this is just two of them but thay have called the police on me for these a number of times. By now the police in my town know when they are called to my house that its for something stupid and that im not going to argue or anything now.

My neighbors are a young couple maybe 25 and the just moved here from boston...they like the country apparently just not what happens in the country

9. jason_mazzy

jason_mazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Marbury v. Madison : 5 US 137 (1803):

“No provision of the Constitution is designed to be without effect,” “Anything
    that is in conflict is null and void of law”, “Clearly, for a secondary law to come in
    conflict with the supreme Law was illogical, for certainly, the supreme Law would
    prevail over all other laws and certainly our forefathers had intended that the supreme
    Law would be the bases of all law and for any law to come in conflict would be null and
    void of law, it would bare no power to enforce, in would bare no obligation to obey, it
    would purport to settle as if it had never existed, for unconstitutionality would date from
    the enactment of such a law, not from the date so branded in an open court of law, no
    courts are bound to uphold it, and no Citizens are bound to obey it.
    It operates as a near
    nullity or a fiction of law.”

10. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    In general they are nice individuals, but some are ruthless and hate you for whatever reason.

Most of the cops that have come to my house have been very nice and apologetic, the board of health and all of code enforcement have NOT! my neighbor who is too far to hear the chickens has not and my backdoor neighbor has been really nice, so it is person by person, and most of the time the job does not make the person, but in the case of Code Enforcement I think only nosy, pushy my-way-or-the-highway people become code officers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by