1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

POLISH 7 weeks - boy or girl? I am thinking these are boys....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by keckhart, Oct 17, 2013.

1. keckhart

keckhart In the Brooder

Oct 17, 2013
    HI - I am new to this board, and new to chickens. I have these two polish that I think are males, as they have a mohawk like crest vs my other polish who has a very rounded crest at the same age. These guys are also larger and a bit more rambunctious. [​IMG]
    Any input would be appreciated. I called my avian vet to see what it would cost to have them sexed, and they said $90 each, which is ridiculous as it was only $25 to get my cockatoo DNA sexed, but that was several years ago.

Also, can anyone advise really how loud a polish rooster crow is? These guys are very sweet, there are no restrictions on roosters, but we only have a 1/4 acre and neighbors can still complain.

I really don't want to take chances of re-homing these guys as I don't want to turn them into dinner because they are REALLY nice little guys (if indeed that's what they are). They love to sit on your lap and be petted, we have had them since they were a few days old and they are held regularly. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TTracy

TTracy Chirping

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
    I am no good at sexing, but have to say those are some pretty awesome looking chickens!!!
    Welcome to BYC! I am sure someone else will be able to help you out!!
    [​IMG]

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    Its a bit young to tell; they need more time to fill out and grow feathers in. But I'm not seeing any obvious rooster traits right now.

4. keckhart

keckhart In the Brooder

Oct 17, 2013
    Thanks!! I have been using this site as a reference tool for some time, lots of great info here... [​IMG]

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree, there are no obvious rooster traits at this time, though the crests are a little small and pointy.

6. Mickey Lou 04

Mickey Lou 04 Chirping

Jun 14, 2013
    Not any definite rooster qualities yet but it is a little soon to tell.

If you want I will go out to my polishes and take comparison photos of my 6/7 moth old polish cockerel and pullet. Then you can see what you're looking for.

7. keckhart

keckhart In the Brooder

Oct 17, 2013
    That would be awesome, thanks!

8. Mickey Lou 04

Mickey Lou 04 Chirping

Jun 14, 2013
    Here they are, I just took these photos. I am sorry about the shadows but their coop is under a tree. And they NEVER stop moving! lol! I hope these help..........
    [​IMG]this is my Silver Laced Cockerel

[​IMG]This is Bunny the buff laced pullet.
    [​IMG] Here is a photo of the same cockerel when he was younger.

Again the first two are today and the last one is when the cockerel was younger

Hope this helps,

Mickey Lou 04

9. Mickey Lou 04

Mickey Lou 04 Chirping

Jun 14, 2013
    this show difference in the crest

10. Mickey Lou 04

Mickey Lou 04 Chirping

Jun 14, 2013
    the female has a more compact and more sphere like crest and the males have more of a david bowie hairstyle. Long spikey wisps of hair.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by