Polish and Polish cross cockeral?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Gwyllion, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Gwyllion

Gwyllion Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    DFW, TX
    O.k guys, I'm pretty sure that my polish is going to turn out to be a cockeral. No signs of crowing though.... which has me second guessing myself. He's so beautiful, I'm hoping that I might be able to keep him even if a cockeral. What are the chances he'll stay nice and quite if it is a boy? Both birds are about 14 weeks old.
    [​IMG]
    This guy/gal was sold to me as a showgirl but is actually a naked neck x polish cross. Any ideas on gender?[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. De

De Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Camden,AR
    the silkie/ tophat cross is a roo. to and I wished I had him....my husband don't like chicken most of the time but he like the turkens/tophats... so next spring he is going to have a pen with cross hen and turkens roos. in it....

3. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Both are boys, and although all is quiet now, that will change. All roosters crow sometime. It just takes some longer than others.

And I would rethink your turken cross. Neither Turkens nor Polish have feathered feet. [​IMG]

Sorry.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Your show girl looks like she could be a show girl without the barbless feathers thus making her look funny. Def silkie in that mix with naked neck in that roo. Naked neck says turken is one parent, and that skin color, eye shape, body shape, all scream silkie. It just didn't get the silkie feathering.

5. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Both look like boys to me. Polish girl have a much more uniform and compact crest than the males.

How old is the second bird? It looks young, which is why I am saying boy.

6. swordgeek

swordgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Westford, MA
    Don't know about your nekkid one, but your Polish is definitely male. Mine looked a lot like this (different color, though) and started to crow at 14 weeks - surprise!!! [​IMG] He hasn't shut up since. Maybe yours will cooperate better? I hope so - they're really fun birds, and beautiful as well.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  7. Gwyllion

Gwyllion Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    DFW, TX
    They're both the same age. 14 weeks. Its neat that the showgirl might actually be crossed correctly, although I guess that won't matter much if it's a boy. There's no way I can keep 2 roosters, I have a small flock and even 1 might not be possible depending on how much he crows and if my neighbors complain. I'll have to seriously work on my husband too.... He is only interested in eggs and thinks that a roo would just eat food and space another hen could be using. Oh well. Thanks for the input guys!

8. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    At 14 weeks, I still say they are both boys. Sorry

9. swordgeek

swordgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Westford, MA
    Gwyllion, if you want to keep your roo, you'll need to work on your husband. Play to his manly pride and all - he may respond to the idea of rooster as prime protector of all those poor, defenseless girls. [​IMG] I had issues with my husband/roo relationship, and had a hard time defending the bird, since the chickens are usually in a secure run most of the day, and that bird never shuts up. Till one night... when my daughter accidentally left the door to the coop open... and something tried to get in there... and the rooster started crowing madly at 3 in the morning... and all sorts of noise ensued... Good boy!

Next morning, all I had to say was "The rooster stays." The man of the house may not be pleased, but he recognized that the bane of his existence likely just saved the flock from decimation. He'd earned his keep for life. And when they do free-range, I feel better about it. Rooster = guardian, protector, all stuff he could relate to. I may not like the noise myself, but I know he's good to his ladies, and we all appreciate that.

10. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Both Roosters. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by