Polish and Sultan Babies...can you help me make some "guesses" on sex?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LisaBeth, Mar 19, 2013.

1. LisaBeth

LisaBeth Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2012
    Leander, Texas
    Hello! I have four new babies...Polish & Sultan - they are about 4 weeks old now and I'm just trying to guess about sex...I had read an old thread on here with some tips...but many are conflicting...there were both Polish and Sultan in the pen - and frizzles, however, none of the hatched eggs produced any frizzles (so I got to bring them home with me!).
    Two of the babies are all white...two black with splashes of white...I will try to get some pictures to post of them to help with the guessing game. There are three that primarily do the "chest bump"...the fourth not quite as much...I've noticed these three also doing the "stretching" thing more...the one white looks as if it could be "Sultan" has the five toes with feathering...crest...vulture hocks...not sure but looks as if there is a bit of muff development and beard...has yellow legs (hmmm...got to read the standard and see if that is correct for Sultan) but, and is all white - it is also the largest but...I'm not seeing any "comb" at this point. This one also has more of a round or developed crest. The smaller all white isn't feathered out quite as much... AND...I noticed this afternoon it has some little red comb showing...and has a "mohawk" at this point rather than a "pouf"...lol...the two blacks...one has more of a crest...the other more of a "mohawk" and I'm not seeing any comb at all. The sweetest is the one that looks "Sultan" but it is also the largest (which says Roo yes?) - and it does the stretch and the chest bumping (Roo yes?) but...it has a rounder crest and I'm not seeing any comb (Pullet yes?)...ugh...I don't plan on keeping a roo so am hoping I've got a pullet or two (yeah...I was hoping they ALL were pullets but...ya know how that goes!)...I will try to get pics and post them tomorrow but...if anyone has any particular thoughts as to Polish and Sultan gender with chicks...let me know!

Thank you! Lisa

2. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Aw, I love Polish! I had a Houdan once, but she got sniped by a bobcat. :/

Pictures would really help. If you could get full body pictures, and pictures of comb/wattles/heads.

3. Jeanette56

Jeanette56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2012
    Southwest Texas
    Pictures would be really helpful Lisa! I can't wait to see them. ;)
    I have a pair of Sultans and the male does have more of a mohawk than a pouf.

Jeanette
    Texas

4. LisaBeth

Apr 25, 2012
    Leander, Texas
    Here is a picture of "Pasha" at around two weeks...I'm so hoping she is a she...:) I'll try to get more pictures of them tomorrow with hubby's help
    [​IMG]

5. LisaBeth

Apr 25, 2012
    Leander, Texas
    Oh...and if you have "real honest too goodness" Sultan's does this look like a "full" Sultan chick from what you can see? Apparently the roo was a Sultan and the pen had both Sultan and Polish hens in it - I will try to get pictures of all of the "kids" and you can see what I mean...primarily "Pol-tans"...lol...although...the other white chick might actually be a "Sul-ish"...the other white chick has only four toes...and one of the blacks that looks more Polish has five...so a rather mixed up group :) but sooooo cute!

6. Jeanette56

Jeanette56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2012
    Southwest Texas
    I got my Sultans as adults so I've never seen a Sultan chick.
    However, at this point in time my guess is that this is a pullet.
    More photos would be a big help.

Jeanette

7. LisaBeth

Apr 25, 2012
    Leander, Texas
    okay...had trouble getting pics today - could only get them when they were in their run so its through hardware cloth and now having trouble downloading pics...anyway, lets see if I can do this - it might take seperate posts so....here is chick No. 1 - I can't see any comb but...this is the largest chick...does do the chest bump...and the stretch...??? - but again...this one has much more of a "poufy" crest at this point then a couple of the others (the other white and one of the blacks)...???
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. LisaBeth

Apr 25, 2012
    Leander, Texas
    [​IMG]

Here is Chick No. 2 - actually - if I can get this to load...this is Chick No. 1 and No. 2 -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. LisaBeth

Apr 25, 2012
    Leander, Texas
    Okay...Chick No. 3 - you are looking at the black one with quite a bit of white on its crest...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. LisaBeth

Apr 25, 2012
    Leander, Texas
    And...last is Chick No. 4 - Mostly black with a touch of white...and...if I can get the third picture to load...there is a picture of Chick 2 and Chick 4 getting feisty with each other...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by