Polish at 4 weeks Pics please!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by whatsup chickenbutt, Oct 22, 2008.

1. whatsup chickenbutt

whatsup chickenbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Is it possible to tell the sex of a polish at 4 weeks, and if so, can any one post some pics at that age, and what gender you think they are.
    Thanks!

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I don't think it's possible. They fool you right up til they crow, LOL

3. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I don't know what color variety you have, but I've got silver-laced, buff-laced, and white. The silver-laced and buff-laced I got at 4 weeks old. I picked out two with more feathers on their head, and one with less feathers of each color. I thought for sure the ones with bigger crests at 4 weeks were roosters, but they were so darn cute I got 4 of them. Turned out all the ones with more feathers on their head at that age were pullets. The cockerels kept a mohawk look for a long time. The female's "crests" looked like Shrek's horns at 4 weeks.

Cockerel
    [​IMG]

Pullets
    [​IMG]

My white polish has been completely different. Her crest has been bigger from day one, and fluffy. I only have a good shot of her at 20 days.
    [​IMG]

4. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    OMG...That's what my 1 week olds are going to look like...I cant wait!

5. BBRCubalaya

BBRCubalaya New Egg

Oct 22, 2008
    Well four to five months they start getting sex feathers on their crest, hackles, and saddles. If a Male they should have a point at the end of the feather- ie. > If a female the feather should have a round tip.- ie. ) Although this just gives you a better chance of sexing.

6. whatsup chickenbutt

whatsup chickenbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Thanks everyone for the input!
    Jossanne: most of mine have a lot of feathers on their head. They are all from the same hatch, but their are 3 with less developed hats, and much smaller bodies. Im now thinking maybe those three are roos, because somebody else said that their pullets were considerably more developed than their roos at that age.
    Oh well, we shall see! [​IMG]

7. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    My roos' bodies were much slower to feather out as well. Their line of feathers down their back didn't come in as early, and neither did their tails.

8. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    With the buff laced Polish, they get these darker brown feathers coming in. That is an easy way with them.

9. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    I coudn't tell gender until 3 months, but I still consider myself a newbie. But the crest feathers are completely different on the roos then the girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by