Polish... at what age do they start laying...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mahonri, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I was the blessed recipient of Noskiveez BBL flock... I got a roo and 6 pullets from her. They are all BEAUTIFUL
    They hatched the end of March.

When should I start hoping for eggs?

2. wildeflowers

wildeflowers I suspect fowl play!

Jun 29, 2010
    I wish I knew. [​IMG]

My polish girl was born about that time and I'm still waiting on her. I'm not sure she's going to lay until spring now with the light diminishing so much.

3. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    I have a WC Polish hen who is about 22-23 weeks old now. Not a single indication that she is ready to lay. And from the absolutely whacked out way she acts most of the time, I will be astounded if she ever does! [​IMG] [​IMG] But I did not get the Polish for their eggs. That's what I have Red Stars and Dominiques for. I got the Polish because they are so darn cute!!

1 person likes this.
  4. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I have a bantam polish that is about 24 weeks. No sign of laying. So the wait continues.......[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Mahonri

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'm wondering if the even reproduce! I got the chickens, did they really come from eggs???!!!

The 7 month old roo appears to have no interest in the girls.

I guess it's just wait and watch and keep them fed.

I gotta say, they are the funnest chicken there is to sit and watch.

6. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Well I'm thinking these three roosters I have are never gonna lay! I bought them in July as juveniles and was assured they were hens. Hmmmm... one has a decidedly upswept hairdo and is getting some red on his head. The other two...not so sure. I am really afraid that I have all roosters instead of hens. I wish they would lay or crow and just get it over with! Anybody need bearded GL polish roosters?
    sharon

1 person likes this.
  7. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    I have two polish hatched april first neither act like they will ever lay. They are goofy though.

8. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    Well, my Polish roo has definitely gotten an interest in the girls! LOL Except the Polish girl. Go figure.

They are fun to watch, tho. Especially the hen. Now that he's a "big boy," Monty does the "rooster strut" and acts all cool and dignified most of the time. Milly, otoh, runs in circles, gets lost from the rest of the flock and panics over her own shadow! I also think she's a tad OCD- she will stand and peck, peck, peck at one spot on the ground forever, while all the others seem to move around and go to different areas frequently. But we love her anyway!

9. Mahonri

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I also asked the question on the polish thread... no answers... at what age do they finally start to lay?

10. australorpchick

australorpchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Canyon Lake, TX
    My little pullet is. She's roughly 6 - 7 months old. However the frizzle polish cockerel, same age, can barely see the other chickens, let alone have any interest in them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by