Polish bantam eye infection

Motherhen518

In the Brooder
Jan 21, 2022
Hey fellow chicken lovers!

I was hoping for a little advice for my white crested polish bantam.
Since I brought her home a few months ago she has had irritated red eyes. None of her flock mates have developed this issue but I have struggled to get it to clear up. Recently one eye got worse and filled with pus. Tonight I used saline, a warm compress and qtips to loosen the chunk of pus and remove it from her eye however she has a chunk in the center of her eye that I could not remove.
As it took quite a long time to remove it and stressed her out a lot I decided to give it a rest for the night, gave it one good final rinse and applied terramycin ointment.
Then I cut pretty much her entire Crest off to keep her from getting any further debris in the eye.
She looks rediculous but is very obviously feeling so much better. But I am concerned that the remaining pus will hinder healing.
I plan to rinse the eye, remove any pus that I can and apply the ointment twice a day from here forward in hopes that it will clear things up. My question is:

With rinsing and applying ointment will that stuck bit eventually come loose?

Is there a limit for how long I can continue treatment with the ointment?

Is there any further treatment I should use for this?

And what could this be? She's had these eye issues since day one and has been with her flock mates the entire time with nobody else developing issues. Her full blooded sister who I had previous to her also had this same issue but we were able to get hers to clear up easily. But this sweet girls issue is persistent.

Thank you for any input!

Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos of her eyes?
Is there a bad odor to the pus, does she have any coughing/sneezing, mucous or lesions/pasty material inside the beak?

It sounds like you are treating the eye well - removing pus, applying ointment, etc.
How long have you been using the Terramycin?

Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos of her eyes?
Is there a bad odor to the pus, does she have any coughing/sneezing, mucous or lesions/pasty material inside the beak?

It sounds like you are treating the eye well - removing pus, applying ointment, etc.
How long have you been using the Terramycin?
I can try to get pictures during cleaning tonight. It doesn't look pretty for sure! But certainly better than when it was full of pus. Right now I'm guessing she's going to be blind in that eye. Currently even after removing all the gunk I can not see her actual eyeball, I believe her inner eyelid is completely covering it and that remaining chunk of pus is holding it shut.
I just started terramycin yesterday evening after cleaning the eye out. Before that on advice from the woman I got her from I had done tylan 50 oral with no results. In fact, though probably coincidence and not related to the tylan, only after the tylan course did the eye actually fill with pus. Until then it had just been red and irritated looking with some watering. I did check her over good last night, no mucous, no sneezing and nothing abnormal in her mouth. The pus definitely did stink when I began removing it! She is pale, though today her color is slightly better than yesterday. She acts mostly normal although until cleaning she had been sleeping a lot more than before but today she is livelier then I've seen her in weeks even telling the rooster off like she used to do. She definitely seems to enjoy not having that huge fluffy poof on her head too.

Back
Top Bottom