Polish bantam - how loud a crow?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jipjip, Mar 3, 2009.

1. jipjip

jipjip Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2009
    New Zealand
    I have a polish bantam that looks as if he is going to be a rooster - is developing a very spiky hairdo, forked comb and pointy feathers around his neck. We are in the city and the neighbours are not going to put up with a loud crow.... does someone have any experience with this breed crowing - is it likely to be lots and loud (in which case I need to make a plan to find him a new home) or is their any chance that he might be a quieter type? He is small enough that I could bring him inside the house at night if that would help.... I'm just wondering how practical that would be - has anyone tried that?

He is a handsome wee chap and I'd love to keep him if I could. Also is it likely that he will eventually get reasonably tame? - so far he is pretty flighty and fast (unlike his foster mother the pekin).

2. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    My polish roo is standard, not bantam, so I can't tell you for sure. But my big guy crows a lot, but it doesn't seem too loud.

Hopefully a polish bantam person will come along and answer this question. Good luck!

3. big_brahmas

big_brahmas Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2008
    Central Florida
    polish bantam have a fairly high pitched crow and can be moderately noisy depending on the bird. my buff laced roo is vary noisy but i know a friend of mine has a white roo who almost never crows, it varies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by