POLISH BANTAM TOOK A SWIM! Water in lungs. Is there anything I can do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicks&Chihuahuas, May 23, 2010.

1. Chicks&Chihuahuas

Chicks&Chihuahuas Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    My fav chick is a little polish bantam, about 7 weeks old. She can't see very well through her "hairdo" and we came home just now to find her in the pool. She was kid of paddling around like a duck (I had no idea they could swim even that much!) but when we fished her out we could hear from the sound of her breathing that she has some water on her lungs. I tried to perch her on my fingers but she just tumbled right off. She's snuggled on my lap (trying to warm her up...she's shivering). Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm so worried about this poor baby doll!

Thanks,
    Amanda

2. Bring

Bring Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    New Mexico
    Don't know if this will even work but, have you tried holding her upsidedown by her feet to drain the water from her lungs?

3. Chicks&Chihuahuas

Chicks&Chihuahuas Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    No, but I know that holding them upside down puts pressure on their lungs (and can make it hard for them to breathe) so I'm wondering if it might make her "cough" (can chickens cough?) some of it up. I'm no vet so I'm thinking it may be worth a shot... Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by