Polish Bantam - will she ever chill out?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AussieChook, Jun 24, 2011.

1. AussieChook

AussieChook Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2011
    Hi, we have a Polish bantam who won't let us anywhere near her. She's very flighty and nervous. Our other two, a wyandotte and a Silkie (also bantams) were reluctant to be held at first, but now submit, more or less willingly, to a bit of gentle patting and being held. Will our Polish ever chill out enough to let us pick her up without squawking and flapping like a maniac? Any tips on how to tame her a bit?

Many thanks for any tips or insight.

2. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    Hi there! [​IMG]

I have a flock of 16. In my flock, I have 13 that I raised from chicks, and they are all quite tame. Some of the like to be held, others don't at first, and then settle down.
    The three that I got when they were older are very skittish. One, I have never been able to touch, the other two, don't like it, run from it, and squawk the entire time. They do come to me when I offer treats, but the most skittish one will not come any closer than about 6 feet. The other two will take treats from my hand, and are content to be near me as long as I don't reach for them.

Mine LOVE raisins. I would suggest finding a treat that they like, and offering it fairly often to help break the ice.
    Good luck!

3. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Next time you visit them, bring some yummy treats wih you. I doubt she'll come up to you, but throw some near her and try and associate your presence with something good. The way to a chicken's heart is through their stomach. [​IMG] I suggest something you can hand out in pieces.

You can also try something that I do, which is to make a certain noise when you enter the coop, to feed, or to give treats, and begin making that noise every time you give them something. This is another association technique that I do with my entire flock. I have some 'flightier' birds and when I go out to feed the masses, I make a vocal clicking noise and I have 15+ chickens rushing at me. At that point, it becomes very easy to pluck one up off the ground-so long as they get the food reward they were promised.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by