1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Polish/banty cross chicks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rcarr, Aug 26, 2010.

1. rcarr

rcarr Hatching

Dec 15, 2008
    I have a half dozen banty mixed breed hens all colors/size and one Black Polish rooster --I've been raising chickens off and on for years and have never gotten consistent colors/size etc. But this Polish rooster's chicks are always exactly the same. All black with a little quail like crown--they look like fat black quail. Kind of cute actually. Is this consistency from a rooster unusual or is it typical for Polish chickens. I don't have a breeding program--just have a few chickens around to eat grasshoppers, get a few eggs and for entertainment. They have 5 acres to run around in and a Rottweiler/Shepherd x to protect them.https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/19825_p8260047.jpg

2. Chickanmanfromarkansas

Chickanmanfromarkansas Songster

Jan 18, 2010
    Using a black colored rooster usually does get you a lot of black chickies. Occainally you might get something different should the hen have a dominant color.

3. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka 8 Years

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    I'm very new to chicken genetics, so I may not have my facts straight, but I think I have heard that the crested gene is dominant. If that is true, then when you breed a bird from a crested breed (that almost certainly got the crested gene from both parents) to a non-crested bird, all of the offspring will have small crests. If you were to breed two of the offspring together, the majority of their offspring should have crests (something like 75% of them), and a few will be non-crested.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: