polish being picked on

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tasha82, Jul 30, 2011.

1. tasha82

tasha82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    leeds
    hi.ive got 8 chickens in my back garden,theyve literally got the run of it,ive got 2 copper marans,a splah maran ,a sussex ,dominque,bluebelle,and a speckled star i also have black polish,all ranging from about 14weeks to 21.the thing is theyre all picking on my polish who is the smallest,pecking her,well all apart from the copper marans one whose a male n protects her,i read in a book today that polishes are prone to being picked on n pecked,will this settle,???????????theyve only started doing it the last few days,thanks

2. tasha82

Jul 17, 2011
    leeds
    Quote:god im tired no ive got 9 chickens,(really not this thick normally lack of sleep due to a non sleeping toddler)one who were not sure what breed it is,x

3. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    I also read that Polish are prone to being pecked, but not in my flock. Stevie, our GL, is head rooster. We have a SL who is completely ignored by all, and a wheat who fits right in. I imagine, like the middle school playground, the reasons behind the pecking order are a mystery, and known only to the participants. If she/he is being pecked badly, you might want to take action. I also want to add that we have an EE rooster who picks and is picked on by all. He gives and he gets, but so far none of it serious, mainly just nabs when he walks by.

As for the nonsleeping toddler, mine turned into a sleeping round the clock 12 year old....it happens overnight, so enjoy the small years.

4. tasha82

Jul 17, 2011
    leeds
    i dont think its been to bad,will keep an eye out i havent seen it myself but my oh and older2 boys have said theyve seen them,they pull her afrro(as i like to call it)and give her a quick peck,just dont want them hurting her,shes the smallest some of the other are twice the size of her,my boys said my one rooster and his gf were looking after her when they tried again last night they stodd in front of her,,are your polishes big??x

5. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    No, they are all smaller than the rest of the flock.

6. Elphaba2140

Elphaba2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    Hi. I found too that my only Polish was picked on when I tried to move her into the main flock. I had to take her out so her butt and head would heal. She became fast friends with another that got picked on a Silver Laced Wyandotte. We are in the process of building a new and bigger coop so they needed to come out of the shed and into a temporary pen. I placed my 3 bantams in there also- 2 Silkies and a Frizzled Cochin. There was much picking on of the SLW at first and despite being huge in comparison to the others she ducked and ran. In a day or two it all settled and they get along great now. I thought the Polish couldn't see well so I trimmed her very full headdress. She is a bit of a dizzy bird but sticks tight to her "sister" the SLW for guidance. She still acts like she can't see well despite the trimming. I hope that I will be able to put them into the new coop without much trouble. They are right next to the other flock and have been so we will just have to wait and see.
    I would try trimming the feathers on his/her head so they can see better and are able to tell if they are bumping into others that may not like that so much. Good Luck.

7. tmasker

tmasker Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    Central Florida
    Elphaba...
    I recieved my Polish chicken for Mother's Day. You can only imagine my horror when the other chickens chased her down and jumped on her back! They started picking all the feathers off of her beautiful head! I had to rescue her and begged hubbie to build a new coup for her... Now she is "Mom" to two frizzle cochin youngsters and two laying silkie hens. They are all one big happy family. I have to let all five of these hens out when the rest of the flock is locked up or they will chase her around. I just can't bring myself to trim her feathered head. Good luck [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Elphaba2140

Elphaba2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    tmasker-I understand. I do think it helped her to navigate better and I know they will grow back. I am glad that yours has a flock that is accepting and she is probably high on the seniority list now. Do you plan to try to integrate them into your other flock eventually? She is beautiful by the way!
    Here is my girl after her "trim".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. tasha82

Jul 17, 2011
    leeds
    Quote:her feathers arent covering her eyes yet,you can still see them,theres no feathers missing or snything its just quick nipping n pulling her feathers,noones done it to her today and shes been laying with all of them,not sure if my cockerals told them by sticking up for her,shes even nicked some of the others treats right out of there mouths today,xx

10. tasha82

Jul 17, 2011
    leeds
    heres elvis,a boys name i know but cudnt help it[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by