Polish boy or girl? Any thoughts?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by franklinchickens, May 9, 2011.

1. franklinchickens

franklinchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Such quick responses on my black copper maran (boy), now how about my 6 week old Polish chick? Neither of these were sexed at birth. Coco seems more girly to me but, not having had a Polish before, it's kind of hard to tell. She's our favorite of the bunch and I'd be mighty sad if she turns out to be a boy. Sorry about the red sexlink butt in the way - Coco is a bit more skittish than any of the others and it's hard to get good pics of her.
    [​IMG]

2. franklinchickens

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    And I have been looking at the differences between boys and girls but it's kind of hard with the Polish I think - I can't seem to figure out where a 'comb' would be! She's pretty shy so it's hard to hold on to her for long like we can with the others.

3. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    Quote:how old is Coco?
    I have a little polish my first as well .. mine has a more mowhawk and pointeir head creast where your coco seams to be more rounded which is supposed to be hen-like.. I think my MeeBeep is a boy and your coco is a girl.. just from what I have learned so far.. I will be really glad to find out what others think so I can tell if Im the right line with mine..
    good luck
    )O(
    Pink

[​IMG]

4. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Hi, I was told by another breeder that if the end of the feathers on the crest come to a sharp point, it is a cockerel. But if end of feathers are rounded on top of the head, you have a pullet. Deb

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  5. franklinchickens

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Thanks Deb & Pink - appreciate it - I'm leaning towards her being a girl - and she does have that rounded crest. Our black copper maran is showing definite roo signs so he'll have to be re-homed but we're going to hold out for a while yet to see because you just never know!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by