Polish- boys or girls

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by seminolewind, Aug 15, 2008.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    They are 6 weeks old. The first three pics are of A.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next 2 pics are of B.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next 2 are of C.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  2. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Really nice close ups, but I still can't tell if they have much wattle development. Are you seeing any washed out pink wattles or red wattles? They are nice looking chicks!

Oh are they standard or bantam?

3. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:I don't see any color yet. They are standard WCB roo and BLP hen. Very docile.
    Verthandi, do pullets grow new feathers like #1? Her poof is nice and round, but there are feather spikes coming thru her scalp. And #2 has more elongated narrower poof that's not showing any pin feathers. That's what's confusing me. Thanks

4. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Quote:I don't see any color yet. They are standard WCB roo and BLP hen. Very docile.
    Verthandi, do pullets grow new feathers like #1? Her poof is nice and round, but there are feather spikes coming thru her scalp. And #2 has more elongated narrower poof that's not showing any pin feathers. That's what's confusing me. Thanks

Lack of color is a good thing..in my book [​IMG] Their heads seem to change alot and I have seen those kind of feathers on pullets too. I don't worry about the shape of the poof. But if they start getting really red wattles and a red cere at the top of their beak I know it is a male.

My first set of polish I was actually trying to pluck out head feathers to see if they were round or pointy. Oops, probably shouldn't have said that. Both have rounded feathers to start, then the feathers on the males heads sort of flatten out to the sides and the top of their head gets reddish and bumpy. Then the long pointed head crest feathers come through.

I see nothing here that says male yet, but picture B makes me think male for no reason but intuition. The new feathers on A could be the start of the male crest coming in, but I have seen hens do the same thing.

Lot a help huh???

They are really cute, did you hatch these chicks?

5. Easter_pink_silkies

Easter_pink_silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Beautiful little pullets, heres my silver Polish hen, Afro for comparison
    this is a picture of her (and i) when she was just a bit older than yours are.
    [​IMG]
    And heres a few more recent pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ps. i see a pretty little silkie butt in pic 6...im guessing its a pullet (young hen) too?

6. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida

Lack of color is a good thing..in my book [​IMG] Their heads seem to change alot and I have seen those kind of feathers on pullets too. I don't worry about the shape of the poof. But if they start getting really red wattles and a red cere at the top of their beak I know it is a male.

My first set of polish I was actually trying to pluck out head feathers to see if they were round or pointy. Oops, probably shouldn't have said that. Both have rounded feathers to start, then the feathers on the males heads sort of flatten out to the sides and the top of their head gets reddish and bumpy. Then the long pointed head crest feathers come through.

I see nothing here that says male yet, but picture B makes me think male for no reason but intuition. The new feathers on A could be the start of the male crest coming in, but I have seen hens do the same thing.

Lot a help huh???

They are really cute, did you hatch these chicks?

Sure you're alot of help, LOL. I think it's better to hear an "I'm not sure" rather than a "Guaranteed male". And especially from a Polish lover like you. I am so impatient.

I hatched these from eggs from Polish that I hatched this past winter. I have a wonderful roo and 3 great buff sisters, and the babies will surely be sweet too.
    I also have 2 silver laced, but they're chicks and can't tell anything.
    Thanks for your help.

7. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:Gosh , Easter, beautiful pullet. And I thought Polish were going to be easy to sex, LOL

8. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    pic c is defintitly female,[​IMG]

9. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:I would tend to agree with you. She's the easy one. The other 2 have me guessing, LOL

10. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I'm glad you posted this...my baby polish is only 5-6 weeks old but I was curious as to what she/he was. I think I MAY just have a girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by