Polish can't see, haircut?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by dreamgirl, Jun 23, 2008.

1. dreamgirl

dreamgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2007
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Ok, so the Golden Polishes looked so cool I ordered one, but now that she is 10 weeks she can't see and she is scared of everything, falls off stuff and seems generally unhappy--it is so sad [​IMG]

So, is there anything I can do like trim the feathers around her eyes? I think that is a no, since I think the feathers have blood in them? But I thought I'd ask... My friends have suggested a hair band... If not, will she get used to this?

[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Do a search on BYC - I saw something one time about folks giving them "haircuts" and also someone putting a barrette or a rubberband in the head feathers. If you seach, you should be able to find something - good luck!

3. blue fire

blue fire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Maybe put it in a ponytail?? [​IMG]

4. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

You can totally give her a haircut, i've done it on polish before.

5. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    I have seen pics on here that people used pony tail bands for their polish's "hair". It's actually pretty cute to see!

6. dreamgirl

May 28, 2007
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Awesome, thanks!

7. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Somebody once posted a picture of a Polish roo with his crest sticking straight up in a pony tail. He looked like Ninja Roo. So funny.

8. dreamgirl

May 28, 2007
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Hmpf, the hair band worked for all of 3 minutes until the other girls pecked it off her. [​IMG] I either need to get one that matches her feathers so they can't see it or go for the haircut...

9. Anne

Anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    I got my first trio of Silver Laced Polish last fall, and they couldn't see worth a darn, plus it was wet and their crests kept getting horribly muddy (ew!). I decided that since I would be breeding them, not showing them, I would cut their crest feathers off. Now they just have tiny little afros instead of gigantic, vision-obscuring feather dusters! They are much happier.

10. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    When I had Polish, it seemed it was the combination of crest AND beard making it hard for them to see, especially if the beard was not well separated from the crest. What I did was give them haircuts(either mohawk style or a "buzz cut"- cutting the whole crest) and a "beard trim" on the "muffs" part of the beard(the poufs by the eyes).

If you do give a haircut, be careful if the bird is one of those with a large knobby skull, and use human vanity scissors for the beard trim.

They were always much happier after haircuts/beard trim.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by