1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Polish chick coloring and gender questions

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by wolfynn, Sep 10, 2016.

1. wolfynn

wolfynn New Egg

Aug 11, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    Hi guys! I am new to chickens and recently ordered 15 buff silkies and 5 polish chicks. Hoping someone can help with a few newbie questions!

For one! I have one that's mostly solid white...[​IMG]

But then another that's more...cream? They are five weeks old. Would you call the cream white or buff? And am I right in thinking the white is a lady and the buff is a roo? [​IMG]

I also have these...I think the golden laced is a boy, as well as the silver laced...but the black with a white crest is a girl? [​IMG]

Sorry for the terrible pics....but the ones I think are boys have more narrow mohawks and the girl a rounder poof.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I honestly hope I have it backwards as the golden laced is our favorite...my boyfriend who swears he hates birds has named him Phoenix and pets him when he thinks I am not looking ;)

Thank you all for any forthcoming help!

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Two White, one White Crested Black, one Silver Laced, and a very poor colored Golden Laced. It's too young to tell the gender for sure, but the #1 and #3 are looking like pullets.

3. wolfynn

wolfynn New Egg

Aug 11, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    Oh gosh...I won't tell Phoenix about his coloring, I think hes beautiful ;)

Tyvm for weighing in! I am glad my guesses werent too far off!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with Bantam fan4life. Maybe Yorkshire Coop will see this, she raises Polish

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by