Polish Chick Comb at what age?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RedOdette, Apr 6, 2018.

1. RedOdette

RedOdette In the Brooder

Apr 2, 2018
    I have 3 Polish chicks I think approximately one month old. They are not yet fully feathered, but two appear to have little bumps forming on their head at the front of their crests. I think it's the start of combs. At what age do they usually start developing? Do they develop earlier on Roos or is it about the same time regardless of sex? My hubby is convinced at least one of them is a Roo. I will try to take pictures when I get home.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Often due to their crest polish combs can’t often be seen. But if you have clear signs at 4 weeks this could be an indicator of a Male but on the other hand this may not be the case as polish are notoriously hard to sex.

Pics would be great when you get a chance but even at 4 weeks it would more than likely still on be guesses.

3. RedOdette

RedOdette In the Brooder

Apr 2, 2018
    This chickie has the most comb development I think. Also the bravest of the bunch.

Attached Files:

4. Roos, probably. Cute, obviously!:thumbsup

5. RedOdette

RedOdette In the Brooder

Apr 2, 2018
    Here are the three yesterday.
    I'm still clueless!
    Will just have to wait it out.
    Sorry they're a bit blurry - they were in a flurry of activity! IMG_3358.JPG IMG_3360.JPG IMG_3368.JPG IMG_3375.JPG

6. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    How old are they now? The silver looks a possible pullet.

7. RedOdette

RedOdette In the Brooder

Apr 2, 2018
    I'm not 100% sure. Should be 7ish weeks I think? I was told they were 1 month old around March 23, but I think they were maybe only 3 weeks then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: