Polish Chick Development

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TheRidingLibrarian, Apr 1, 2009.

1. TheRidingLibrarian

TheRidingLibrarian Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2009
    Fellsmere, FL
    I have 9 - 4 1/2 week old Polish Chicks. The feathers have completely come in on the heads of a few of them, so cute!! Most of the others though, have varying degrees of bald spots. Most of them have feathers around the outer edges, but bald in the middle of the top of their heads. Kind of a fuzzy Monk look. [​IMG]

I have been sitting with them a bit every evening. They are in their coop now and having a blast. DH built a roost system for them and it is Chicken Jungle Gym now. LOL But I digress...I have only seen one of them peck one of the others once, a couple quick pecks and that was it. In fact, I am surprised at how well everyone gets along.

So my questions is: is it normal for the Polish chicks to have bald spots...a period when the fuzz falls off before the feathers come in? Or are they pecking each others feathers out when I am not looking?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have not had polish but I sure want some so I had to read your post. Hopefully putting this pack at the top will help.

3. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Yep totally normal. Just like a human baby the fuzz leaves randomly and grows back in the same way. They will have filled out completely by about 7 weeks

4. TheRidingLibrarian

TheRidingLibrarian Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2009
    Fellsmere, FL
    Thanks guys!

Awesome!! I was hoping so, but got worried since a few of them are already sporting a full Fluff-Hat. [​IMG]

My little Einsteins. [​IMG]

5. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Einstiens', Tinas' (Turner), and Phyliss' (Diller) [​IMG]

6. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    My kids refer to them as the 'fro chicks . . .[​IMG]

7. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    I love polish

8. MNmommy

MNmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    central MN
    I am hoping to get a few on monday!!!

Post some pics of those babies

9. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I had one polish, my free rare and exotic, in an order of layers from McMurray. Before she featered out, the rest had pecked her to where she looked like a monk. As she got bigger, the RIR's pecked her poor head bald and bloody. Got rid of the RIR's, brought her in the house for a month to heal up, and now she's back outside with a gorgeous crest and happy.

So my guess is that they're pecking each other's heads.

10. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Wait a few weeks and they will totally feather out. It takes a few weeks to fully see how their crests will turn out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by