polish chick leg issues

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shortnsweet1025, Jul 11, 2010.

1. shortnsweet1025

shortnsweet1025 In the Brooder

Jun 11, 2010
    I have six polish chicks that are about a month, maybe 5 weeks. I recently bought some egg laying food for my older chickens and thought that it would be okay to feed the chicks as well... One of the chicks has what looks like splay leg to me.. I'm not sure. It can walk very akwardly, but spends most of the time sitting on the floor. ANyone know what could cause this? Are my other chicks in danger? I have them inside a closed concrete floor building covered with pine shavings... I don't think the shavings could've caused it. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. cforeman

cforeman In the Brooder

Feb 26, 2010
    I was told that you should not feed layer food to pullets because it is high in calcium and cause leg deformations.

3. shortnsweet1025

Jun 11, 2010
    Ok, well I guess that answers that... I asked the guy at the feed store and he said that it would be fine.. That makes me mad.. I hope it won't effect the rest of them.

4. shortnsweet1025

Jun 11, 2010
    DOes anyone know if I can do anything for this chick? If I switch the food back to chick starter, will it affect the rest of the chicks?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by