polish chick not acting right

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by eggheadz, May 22, 2016.

1. eggheadz

eggheadz Just Hatched

May 16, 2016
    michigan
    I have 2 polish chicks. 1 is doing great, doubled its size since we got them about a month ago. The other one has not grown at all, now that one is acting funny it sleeps most of the day, it eats and drinks fine but it now holds its head like it has a kink in its neck. What can i do to help this poor thing? Help please?

2. eggheadz

eggheadz Just Hatched

May 16, 2016
    michigan
    Is there some meds i can give it. If so, where can i get it?

3. eggheadz

eggheadz Just Hatched

May 16, 2016
    michigan
    Been watching the one in question, he or she has not drank or eaten anything since. Staggers like its drunk but chirps alot when awake

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Vitamin E encephalopathy, crazy chick disease. (do a thread search) Try giving it a couple of drops of Poultry Nutri Drench. You can give it Vitamin E straight out of a gel cap meant for human consumption. Just nick open a cap, and wipe some of the liquid onto the chick's beak. Selenium, just a tiny bit of powder scraped off a tablet is also helpful. You can also make the feed into a thick oatmeal consistency with water, and add the vitamins to that after the initial medication with the vitamins straight to the chick. I am not qualified to give medical advice, but can tell you that this is how I treated my affected chick. This chick was cold to the touch and comatose when I figured out what was going on with it. Made remarkable recovery, but by the time I treated, systemic damage had already been done. Perhaps you can treat your chick before it reaches that point.

5. eggheadz

eggheadz Just Hatched

May 16, 2016
    michigan
    Thanks so much.

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    YVW

7. eggheadz

eggheadz Just Hatched

May 16, 2016
    michigan
    Gave her a dose of vitamin e and selenium tonight. Find out in the morning if it helped.

8. confused mommy

confused mommy Just Hatched

May 22, 2016
    I was going to suggest the same thing...my trouble had the same problem but did improve with that treatment...only draw back is trouble took a long time to get better as far as growing and is still half the size.

9. eggheadz

eggheadz Just Hatched

May 16, 2016
    michigan
    I'm new to all of this, I new something was odd about her, but what? Today her symptoms really manifested themselves, hopefully we stopped it in time. Question, do I continue with vitamin e for a few days?

10. confused mommy

confused mommy Just Hatched

May 22, 2016
    I did 2 days just to be safe. And then I switched to vitamins in the water for another week. I wish you the best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by