Polish chick pics...what sex? Picture heavy!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by raven880, Apr 15, 2008.

1. raven880

raven880 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2007
    Central Indiana
    Ok, I now have photos of all the Polish chicks my friend inheirited....all 8 of them. I hope some of you can do better than I in figuring out what sex they are. I think they're around 6 wks in these shots. And I"m just assuming they are Polish chicks. They are part of a shipment from McMurray hatchery called the Top Hat Special which includes several colors of Polish along with Houdans, Turkens,Crevecours and Sultans. But none of these looked like the other breeds.

On the white ones I used magic marker to identify them so their name is the color I used.
    This and the following 2 are Blue
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And this is Splash
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is Black
    [​IMG]

and again
    [​IMG]

This is Spot
    [​IMG]
    and here
    [​IMG]

Green
    [​IMG]
    and here
    [​IMG]

Sherman...this one has been picked by my friend's daughter as her bird and she named it.
    [​IMG]

and again
    [​IMG]
    Red
    [​IMG]

and here
    [​IMG]

And here is the last one who doesn't look at all like the others. It's much smaller and has been a lot slower to develop. I was told that it was nearly dead when the chicks were dropped off at my friend's bird store and they weren't sure they could save it. It's legs are black, not white or grey like the others and the crest isn't well developed. It's spunky tho and wouldn't let me catch it to get it out of the cage for it's photo op.
    [​IMG]

2. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    [​IMG] how cute

3. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Morning Raven880, thanks for the album link. Nice photos. Are you sure these chicks are 6 weeks old? just asking as they still have a lot of pin feathers coming in and the redness on the beak and wattles will not start until after they are a little more feathered.

Is Blue 2 and 3 the same chick? or two different chicks? 2 has a more "henish" body posture. I hate to be the bearer of possible bad news, but the splash 2 and 3 photos are probably White Crested Black chicks. It surprised me the first hatch that I had when they sprouted white feathers, but they usually fall out when they have their first molt.

If I had to pick one that I feel is a hen at this point, I would go with Spot in your album. Some of the others have the hen look...but it is too soon to tell.

4. raven880

Oct 3, 2007
    Central Indiana
    Quote:Yes, all the Blue pics are the same bird, all the green the same, etc. After checking with my friend to whom the birds were first delivered, I find that they are only about 5 wks old now. So I guess a little young still to tell. Let's hope there are at least a couple hens in there because I can only keep a hen and my friend also wants a hen along with the roosters.

I just noticed this morning that my little bantam Key West guy in with the Polish (have several Key West chicks in there too) was CROWING! He's so tiny and looked so silly doing that but he was working hard at it. Those chicks are about 2 wks older than the Polish.
    Thanks for helping with this and I'll let you know when they start showing color around their cere.

5. ChickNLittle

ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    For some reason the picture links are red x'd and I can't open them. Darn!

6. raven880

Oct 3, 2007
    Central Indiana
    Quote:I don't know what happened. They don't show up for me now either but they showed fine when I first posted them. I wonder if my hosting company is blocking direct linking.
    You can go here and click on pages 6 and 7 of the album to see the individual polish chicks.

http://public.fotki.com/raven880/chicks/

7. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    I just noticed this morning that my little bantam Key West guy in with the Polish (have several Key West chicks in there too) was CROWING! He's so tiny and looked so silly doing that but he was working hard at it. Those chicks are about 2 wks older than the Polish.
    Thanks for helping with this and I'll let you know when they start showing color around their cere.

Lol, I will keep my fingers crossed that you only have a small number of males in the bunch. Wait until you hear one of the polish "try" to crow! They sound like the tuba section of an orchestra....with little training.​

8. raven880

Oct 3, 2007
    Central Indiana
    Wait until you hear one of the polish "try" to crow! They sound like the tuba section of an orchestra....with little training.

I can't wait! It sounds like they will be fun to hear.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by