polish chick sleeping on my shoulder

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by paramedic07, Apr 5, 2011.

1. paramedic07

paramedic07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Bergman, AR
    This Morning As I Went Out To Feed The Chickens. One Of My Four Polish Chicks, All A Month Old, A Golden Laced, Was Gasping And Acting Lethargic. The Other Three Were Peeping And Acting Normal. As I Picked It Up To Check It Out I Saw Food Crowding Its Mouth. I Took It Into The House. I Wraped It In A Towel. I Was Able To Clear The Airway Without Compromising It. I Am A Paramedic.

It Was Then Able To Hack And Swallow Its Mouth Clear. As I Was Clearing The Airway I Noticed Its Nostrils Were Shut With Dried Muscus "boogers". Used Warmed Saline With Q-tips To Clear Both Nostrils.

It Was Still Lethargic For A While Afterwards About Ten Minutes. Then It Completely Turned Around Started Peeping And Preeing Itself. Peeping To Me While Resting It The Towel It Was Wrapped In. After Observation It Was Let Outside With Its Chick Mates. Through Out The Day It Acted Normal Eating And Drinking With No Further Signs Of Anything That Caused It To Come Into The House Earlier. Kept Trying To Fly Up To Me And Crawl Into The Pants Leg To Rest At My Ankle All Day. Brought It In The House To Watch It Overnight. Jumped Into My Hand Then Jumped Onto My Shoulder To Rest. Wont Be Quite Till I Let It Sit There And If I Move Peep, Peep, Peep.

Its Sleeping Now On My Shoulder As I Type This Out. What A Pain In The Tail Feather. Its Going To The "hospital" Nest So I Can Sleep To Let It Out In The Morning.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  2. paramedic07

paramedic07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Bergman, AR
    Such A Catchy Headline. Not A Single Response Yet.

3. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Ha! I love the first aid story and she seems to be grateful [​IMG] . She is very pretty..

4. cgtara3

cgtara3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Traverse City, MI
    Cute story. I am surprised that not more people have made comments either.[​IMG]

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Very pretty chick [​IMG] I HOPE you're not complaining about how well bonded the little chick is to you [​IMG] Most of myy chicks still act like I'm an ax murderer when I try to snuggle with them.

6. jenesis536

jenesis536 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    CA
    Very cute picture! I'm glad you were able to help her out. Good papa "hen".

Why do you capitalize every word?

7. bgelber

bgelber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2009
    Athens, al
    very pretty bird.

good luck with her

8. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Very cute! Keep watch for any respiratory symptoms. May be contagious. Hopefully she just had a little food blockage.

9. ekemily

ekemily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    how's she doing? [​IMG]

10. JuicyFatHead

JuicyFatHead Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    WNC
    So Cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by