Polish Chick With Bloody Head

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickensRock01, Feb 28, 2014.

1. ChickensRock01

ChickensRock01 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2014
    I have a 2 month old polish chick and the other chicks never pecked at her but now they are! They pecked so much that she bled!! I think they stopped because now she has a scab on her head and i think its healing.My other polish roo doesn't get bullied. I think its because she was always the weakest and at the bottom of the pecking order. If they start pecking again, what should I do? I can't really separate her. Any ideas? Did anyone else have this problem!!?? Reply ASAP Plzz

2. newtoallthis

newtoallthis Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2014
    Central, FL
    I am not an expert by no means but I just read today about putting vicks on your chickens to prevent pecking. You can buy at Walmart and Dollar Tree for a dollar. Research it and see if it's right for you! Good Luck! :)

3. ChickensRock01

Jan 10, 2014
    You mean like the stuff for coughs and runny noses? Could you send me a link?

4. ChickensRock01

Jan 10, 2014
    Wait if you put vicks on a cut that would burn really bad!

5. newtoallthis

Feb 15, 2014
    Central, FL
    Yes, Vicks for cough and colds. Give me few to see if I can find the tread I was reading this morning and Ill post the link.

6. newtoallthis

Feb 15, 2014
    Central, FL
    According to the thread Vicks has alot of natural healing properties. In the thread it says where the new label doesn't say so but it has the same ingredients but the old label reads how it's great..... and on the thread people say they put it on there chickens and themselves for cuts, scrapes and other stuff and according to them it helps to heal and doesn't bother them or their birds. I have never tried it, only read this. Let me try and find the post and I'll post it.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You might also try BluKote. I have used it on my Polish, but about every 18 months they will get their head feathers plucked. The BluKote helps to hide the red skin for a few weeks until the feathers grow back in. Coal tar can be used as an anti-pick salve.

8. newtoallthis

Feb 15, 2014
    Central, FL
    Okay so I didn't have time to research this as I was busy. Some people always seem to say yes on some things for chickens and some say no. That's why I suggested it and said to research it for yourself. I'm not going to be able to find the exact link I happen to stumble upon this morning but here's two that say it may not be a good idea. Hopefully with this many comments someone who is more experienced and knows what there talking about will chime in and give you a more
    definitive answer!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/180426/vicks-vapor-rub/10

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/585266/vicks-vapor-rub-for-pecking

All I can say is check it out and decide for yourself!!! Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by