Polish chicken feathers peacked by older chickens please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cityfarmer88, Nov 11, 2016.

1. cityfarmer88

cityfarmer88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2016
    Two days ago i found my baby polish well young around 14 weeks old, got pecked by 28 week old hens. I have a new flock of 6 that have been around them for months seeing each other through a pen and then sleeping in the same house with a divder so the big one dont kill the little ones any ways.....

They have all been running around free ranging but one the third day i was gone for a few hours came home and found her head looking like this. Its werid she has always had somethinh wrong witb her leg she kinda of skips it's harder for her to get away she cant see good either because of those feathers, and sometimes she seems like she dont feel good. The rest of the younger flock is fine. The only one my my 28 week old flock of four is my silkie. She likes the babies.

So ive been cleaning it twice a day and put triple antibiotic on it and have her inside. Is there anything else i can do and is her flock going to remember her or forget her and attack her too when i put her out?[​IMG][​IMG]
    My poor baby girl Wendy

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  2. ChickFanatic8

ChickFanatic8 Just Hatched

poor thing! do you know if it was a collaboration or if one hen did this? you might consider pinless peepers if it was just one hen

3. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    i would give her a haircut, i have done this to my crested birds so they can see to run away and to watch for predators
    kinda make a mohawk
    my polish was very happy after his hair cut, and sat nice and still in my lap

also as far as the 'pecking' order, the older girls may sense that there is something wrong with it and may try to self cull, i hope this doesnt happen but in there little brains it is survival of the fittest
    good luck [​IMG]

4. cityfarmer88

Jun 7, 2016

Im really not sure i think it was probably more then one and they arent in a pin but she has problems with her legs i really dont know what is wrong with legs shes always been like that when she was younger i thought that was the way polish chickens walked and ran witb a weird skip and limp but then i got another one that i dont have any more because it was a roo and im in tbe city so we cant have any roosters but he walked normal. It seems like its a little harder now for her sometimes she falls on her side. My poor wendy im really not sure what else to do besides care for her til shes better to go back out i just hope her flock doesnt forget about her then try to hurt her when i put her back. But yeah it was hard fot her to get away i was gone for a couple of hours and usually im in and out checking on them big mistake to let thrm run free witb the big ones while i was gone

5. cityfarmer88

Jun 7, 2016

I cut a little before but was scared about how much to take off. But after this innocedent i already was thinking the same thing who cares if its fancy she needs to be able to see its not right for tge poor girl to spend her life barley being able to see. I will do the same a mohawk thank u.

Does anyone know how long her head will take to heal

6. cityfarmer88

Jun 7, 2016
    Does anyone know if once shes heald if her flock will remember her or are they gonna start pecking her too? Her own flock had never picked on her. Just the big ones they dont like any of the babies

7. ChickFanatic8

ChickFanatic8 Just Hatched

i don't know if they will remember her. time will tell. if your'e not up for the haircut, you could try barrettes.[​IMG] i know it sound crazy, but a good friend of mine had one and was successful with the hair clips.(or feather clips!).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by